PDA

View Full Version : Dakota R/T 1/4 times

Mopar2You
05-09-2002, 12:23 AM
I am looking into buying a dodge dakota r/t ext. cab with all the bells and whistles.

I was wondering what it would run in the 1/4 mile dead stock, how responsive to mods they are, and in general what people think about them. I've had lots of 94-up rams, but no new style dakotas so i dont know anything about them. Also would like to know how responsive they are to mods such as comp, intake, headers back exhaust etc.

Thanx!

bfs426
05-09-2002, 04:55 AM
R/T's will run low-mid 15 second quarter mile times. MP has a pretty good intake with the M1. Basically anything that applies to the Rams will work with daks. Try searching here and [URL=http://www.dodgedakotas.com] they have tons of info.

LarsD
05-09-2002, 06:37 PM
I was told by another R/T owner that once you get more than 30K on the engine they will run high 14's. I don't know this for fact though, since I only have 6300 on mine. There always NOS too!!

L.C.D.

Mopar2You
05-09-2002, 07:07 PM
do they respond well to mods... or do the mods do little or nothing?

I am also looking at an ext. cab 96 dakota, with a built 318 (balanced) with a paxton supercharger, msd ignition, headers back exhaust, 4:56 gears (posi too), 30k original miles, and a yet untested just installed 75hp nitrous express setup. That one is 12500. The R/t is 11500

LarsD
05-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Hot Rod did an article a couple of years back about hopping up an R/T. They had it on a dyno and everything. It seemed to respond well to a K&N filter charger, PCM, and headers. Besides the obvious (supercharger) the bottleneck seemed to the the intake. Now that the M1 is out that may make a difference. I haven't done any real world testing myself, this is just what I've read. That 96 sounds cool, the genII trucks are about 600lbs. lighter that the 97 up trucks.

L.C.D.

Hersbird
05-09-2002, 11:57 PM
I think the R/T responds better to mods then any other motor dodge puts out. It is more pluged up from the factory and has more potential then anything else they make. IMO they built the 318 magnum pretty well in 92 and then in 93 they just added all the 318 magnum stuff to the 360. They should have used better heads, bigger TBs, better cams, etc to take advantage of the extra cubes. So now that better heads, cam, intake, TB's, injectors, etc, etc, are available you can really wake the 360 up from it's already pretty acceptible performance. KRC performance makes a $4000 kit that will make a CC Dakota run mid 13's without any NOS or a blower. $4000 sounds high but that same kit makes a new $19,000 RC R/T as fast as a $30,000 Ford Lightning, and you still haven't added a supercharger like the Lightning has.

Mopar2You
05-10-2002, 09:26 AM
well... now my 'rents wont let me get that 96 Dak with the blower/nitrous.... cuz they are afraid I might hurt myself or some dumb thing like that.(Go figure... I have a 10 sec. RR in the works)

The Dakota R/t is prolly the way I am going to go. What kind of mods should I do with it? I was thinking cam (one after R/T cam), computer, intake, header back exhaust, maybe new heads(aluminum, but at a later date), m1 intake, performance TB (4bbl or 2bbl?). What would gears run me?

Any suggestions would be great and appreciated :).
Anybody know any good sites to get parts for the R/T (performance parts) besides moparperformance?

Thanx

sunofasack
05-10-2002, 11:31 PM
KRCPERFORMANCE.COM and SPEEDTWEEKS.COM is a start! Start w/ either the exhaust or intake stuff. Both will benifit great. Stuff ain't cheap like the old Mopar goods. I like my M-1 but need now better traction and exhaust. The R/t's have a lot more acess. cooling that adds weight. Don't know about the new tranny.

Wade Buchanan
05-15-2002, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know what the best exhaust system for a 99 R/T is?? (When it comes to performance)

Fluid
05-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know what the best exhaust system for a 99 R/T is?? (When it comes to performance) Sure - for top performance on a stock to mildly modded truck use a single 3" pipe from the downpipes through a hi-flow 3" cat and through the stock 3" straight-through muffler. The engine doesn't give a rat's a## how many pipes come out of the back of the muffler - one is usually better as there is less flow restriction. But old ideas die hard......;)

SinCityRT
05-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Factory Regular Cab: 14.8-15.2 1/4
Factory Club Cab: 15.6-16.2 1/4

These numbers will fluctuate with driver experience, altitude, track conditions, weather, blah blah blah.

Most of the basic mods will improve the truck's driveability but not show substantial gains in the 1/4 times until you get a decent amount of them installed. Most will shift the powerband away from the low torque and into the high-rpm horsepower range. Great for street driving but bad for stop and go drags. Once you get a number of upgrades installed your hp/tq get back into decent levels so you aren't sacrificing the low end anymore.

There's plenty of R/T's in the 12-13 second range, and an elusive few in the 11's.

SinCity R/T
http://www.dakota-durango.com

Hersbird
05-16-2002, 07:16 PM
They add about 300 pounds to the club cabs so the 1/4 mile times are about .3 sec slower. So I would say more like 15.0 to 15.6 I've seen a road test of a CC R/T run at a real drag strip that got a 15.1 on a new, tight motor, on a warm, humid day (HPM sept 98)

dakotart1
05-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mopar2You
I am looking into buying a dodge dakota r/t ext. cab with all the bells and whistles.

I was wondering what it would run in the 1/4 mile dead stock, how responsive to mods they are, and in general what people think about them. I've had lots of 94-up rams, but no new style dakotas so i dont know anything about them. Also would like to know how responsive they are to mods such as comp, intake, headers back exhaust etc.

Thanx!

I have a 2000 Dakota CC R/T and my best run last year was 13.00@100.69. Times should be better this year as a bigger cam was put in it over the winter. My truck has a 408 Stroker in it. Jon Davis of Hartford City, IN built my motor and when it was stock my best run was a 15.15. You can check it out at http://home.insightbb.com/~dakota.rt1/