Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-06-2002, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

Default 68 Charger In Dash Radio?

I have put in 2 standard DIN size CD head units (No Knobs) allong with some that had "Shafts" over the years (68 and 69 Chargers) but I have never really liked the way it turns out. Much of the problem lies in the stock factory face plate coming to a point (Not a flat surface to work with.)

Guy at the stereo shop wants to put a plate in front of the dash plate, but he admits he has never done it before and cannot tell me if it will even look good or even "Acceptable".

My last job is not bad (Used a vertical mill at work to cut out the DIN opening as tight as possible) but still leaves gaps where the old knobs used to be (Long, like the dimmer switch). The 69 I worked with actually had an 8-track when my dad bought it in the mid 70's. Looked like crap then, too!

Anyone have any good ideas besides the remote route? Anyone have photos of some Charger installs? I can't be the only one fighting this battle!

I have a brand new faceplate, and I want to do this right. It was rather expensive. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

i don't know about the contours of your dash, but heres mine...

its not perfect, you can see a gap in the lower left hand corner, i didn't do the hole either...it was already there with a crappy tape player... it doesn't go all the way back either, the side frame hits where the plastic comes out for the guages (upper right hand side)

it works though...me and dad are the only ones that drive the car so i don't worry about the looks of small stuffs like that...

enjoy!
Old 09-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, the dash in 68 and 69 is way different! Thanks for the pics. I'll post one of my own tonight so you can see the "Point"
Old 09-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

hey no problem... can't wait to see the pictures!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Inactive User

hey, i forgot to ask and mention...

what kind of CD player are you trying to put into your charger?

i've got an amp i'm wanting to sell...it still works, and it works great! nice clean sound... it's a Lightning Audio Bolt, 150 Watts... heres a picture of it...

speakers not included...sorry. i won't supply the wires etc...i'm using them with another amp! i had it fused correctly, never crossed any wires so it still works like out of the box. i got a Jenson 200watt for free, so i swaped... email me for details...

tmezzenger@hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2002, 06:17 AM
Inactive User

EZ...
The Dremel and carbide wheel, cut the Din 2" x 6" hole. Then add a Din frame price around it, looks all integrated. U can mount a Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine whatever has the best features for U..
Old 09-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Picture

Hi,

Sorry for the delay (Out of Town)

Attached is the dash Picture. What do you guys think?

The top edge of the cutout was from the old knob/8-track that was in the car when we got it.

The bottom edge/corners are the Factory square cutouts from the stock radio (Which we never had)

Any Ideas on cleaning this up? Maybe some black rubber or plastic pieces to fill the gaps?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69-dash.jpg (91.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

is there a frame for that stereo? that would probably cover up most of it...

BTW: if you don't know, the frame goes around the edge on the front of the stereo to cover up the holes where the keys go to remove the stereo...

IMHO: i think that would look much better with the frame on it.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Hi 72 Roadrunner,

Well, I don't need an amp at this point. I have an old Coustic unit that works like a champ. Thanks anyway!

My Head unit is a Pioneer, works fine. But Sinitro, I can't add the DIN size trim/frame do to the "Point" the dash comes to in the middle. If I were to move the radio foward enough to allow this part to snap on the head unit, I would have exposed radio chassis on the left and right sides!

I suppose I need to make a plastic radio adapter that follows the contour of the dash. I've attached a simple concept drawing, but I need some ideas on mounting it. I suppose I could drill and tap the back side, and drill matching holes in the dash plate, adding some screws to secure it to the dash. This would work if I made the part out of aluminum, and black anodize it for looks. But, I'm no machinist! I would rather find a plastic part and modify it to the angle I need using a dremel tool.

Any Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash idea1.jpg (12.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

hey, no problem...theres plenty people in town i can ask.

i think the plastic idea would be your best bet...me and dad built a pretty simple box for my NOS controls, and a case around a gas jug to act as a fuel cell (which we decided wasn't save due to a leak in the hose barb we JB Welded into the jug...) from experience of making a BOX...i'd say go for the plastic, it would probably be easier.

actually, now that i think of it...i think you COULD do that to one of those plastic adapters with a dremel, but i've only put one into a chevy S10...so i'm not sure... go for it and post pictures!! if you don't like it, toss it...

good luck!