Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

Default Cuda CD player

I want to replace the AM radio in my 70 Cuda with a CD player. Can anyone out there give me some input as to what make fits in the opening and looks good? I don't want a lot of bells and whistles just a good looking and sounding player that will work in my car without choping up the dash. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

Idea Here's an idea

How about mounting the new deck in your glove box or somewhere else and keep the AM radio in place?

It makes it harder for potential thieves to notice if you have a system in your car. I have this setup in my RR. The original AM radio has been left (and works ) in place, and my deck is installed in the glove box. I work it via remote.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Rock On

I recently bypassed the stock am on my 66 coronet. I used a 600w 4ch amp to power 2 6x9's in the deck lid and I plan to fabricate a plate to house 2 4"coaxials in the 4x10 mono hole in the dash. What works great about this setup is that you can mainain a totally stock appearance and still have a system that bumps. I use a discman(soon to be an ipod) to supply the sound so it is easy to take it with me or lock it in the glove box. When a would be thief looks inside the car there are no components that look valuable so why bother, I dont even lock the doors. My total investment so far, about 200 dollars and that includes speakers(2 6x9 boston accoustics), amp, and discman. The dash is too precious and the glovebox is too far away.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

I just intalled an Optimus stereo into my 70 Cuda (replacing a crappy broken Kraco). Any standard sized stereo should fit in that opening, you just need to buy (or fab) the right mounting plate to hold the stereo.

To get a good sense of how to install the stereo, I recommend removing the 2 plastic trim pieces. To remove the outer trim piece, remove the screws from the bottom, and then remove the screws from the side (you will probably need to remove the ashtray assembly to get to the side screws.

The second trim panel should fall right out after you remove the outer trim panel. If it doesn't check for screws (mine just fell out).

An aftermarket stereo looks really nice there, just spend a little time alligning it so that it fills the hole correctly.