Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

Question American made please

Anyone know a good American made car stereo company? I'm looking for a single din single CD headunit and I only want American made.......I dont want ANYTHING Jap in my car Is Kenwood made in the U.S.A?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

I don't think there is any american made car steroes anymore.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

:shock:

Not even Kenwood?? Even if it started out as an American outfit and then built sites overseas that is good enough to be American made to me
Old 09-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Inactive User

rockford fosgate is out of arizona i believe.. but there headunits. i have only heard bad about them. one friends always smoked. the other friends the lights in the face went out.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

I just looked at my brothers Kenwood cd changer It says made in japan on it. Then it also has an address on it for Kenwood in some town I can't pernounace in japan. So It looks like they are a japanese company.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

Cheers for the info guys......Looks like I'll be singing to myself
Old 10-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

last I heard rockford fosgate head units were being made by clarion (japanese).
Julian
Old 10-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

There must be some American car audio brand surely, I guess the can't match the cheap parts and cheap labour that the Japs make. I am definitely not going to buy a Japanese brand and thats for sure!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Inactive User

I think this is one area that something made in japan is the way to go. I like Alpine.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Yeah I know there pretty good, It's just I want nothing at all in my car made by Japs. I had a Double-din pioneer head unit with in dash TV/DVD in my Subaru and that worked fine, But that was in a Subaru. I just wanted to know if there was an American brand that made head units. I think the only thing I can do is buy Jap or Get some Euro stuff like Bose.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

Rockford Fosgate is a US brand. Whether the headunits are made in USA or not is another question...

I heard they had problems with the first series of head units, but froiends of mine have had 2002 and 2003 models with no problems. Look pretty smart too!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Cheers 68fury, Can anyone else follow this up? Because if they are I will look into a Rockford Fosgate Head-Unit
Old 10-09-2003, 07:14 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Go with Kicker for the rest of the system, they have decent equipment and are all American. Just a thought...
http://www.mopars.org/images/9907imgl.jpg

Starving college student spending more than he can afford for his obbsession, motorsports!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

Just spoke to clarion rep - they no longer manufacture the Rockford head units, however they are still made in asia. Apparently their amps are made offshore now too.
Julian
Old 10-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Cheers for the input guys, I guess I'll look european. I heard Bose was top of the line stuff for car or home, I only want the best of everything for my Mopar
Old 10-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Inactive User

Again I dunno where the manufacturing plants are, but....

Euro brands...

Blaupunkt (German) - good quality stuff, huge range, theres one with a spec to suit you. Start cheap and cover the whole price range pretty much. Do a good navigation system too.

Becker (German) - top class gear. Superb "SQ" head units, no gimmicks or gizzmos. Really nice.

Sinfoni (Italian) - some of the best SQ amps out. A guy I know is building an SQ competition car with their amps. Damned expensive, but cool.

Genesis (British) - two ranges of amp - Profile is the entry level, I think the premium one is called the Mk3. All hand made here in England. Custom specs, crossovers, output available - just ask and they build it. Awesome stuff. Just started making speakers too. I think its based on a modified Scanspeak driver for the midbass. Three ranges. The premium speaker line comes out about $1500+

Focal (Fr*nch) - speakers & subs. Great SQ brand.

RS (Italian) - Speakers and subs of the top quality.

Rainbow (German) - good range from reasonable to fairly expensive. Huge range of options. Sound very nice.

------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody mentioned McIntosh yet? Are they still making headunits?
They are as American as Apple Pie AFAIK and sound great. I met a guy with their amps in his car and they were knockout!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Inactive User

oh, also....

Bose is made in the Far East AFAIK. Most of their stuff is OEM to GM and Ford now.

DLS are swedish and make some really top class speakers and amps. I htink they do subs too. A buddy of mine ran a pair of their A3 amps and an Aussie Fusion 15" sub, made low 150s with that and it sounded sweet too.

I just swapped my MTX for DLS and they are much smoother.

Worth looking out for, although I heard they have limited distribution in the USA.

Fusion are Australian and make everything from head units to alarms to subs to EQs. Their speakers are a little "bright" sounding but the subs are good (Esp. the Jonah Lomu series) and I heard good reviews of their new head units. The old "regular" series of amps they did had some problems though, but the Jonah Lomu series are pretty indestructable.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 68fury
Rockford Fosgate is a US brand. Whether the headunits are made in USA or not is another question...

I heard they had problems with the first series of head units, but froiends of mine have had 2002 and 2003 models with no problems. Look pretty smart too!
RF contracts their HUs to Japanese companies, I believe Clarion and Fujitsu Ten (eclipse) have both produced HUs for RF.

You could always make your own HU to guarentee US made....
Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ 440R/T
Cheers for the input guys, I guess I'll look european. I heard Bose was top of the line stuff for car or home, I only want the best of everything for my Mopar
Then steer clear of Bose (which is a US company, not euro). Their specialty is marketing....somewhere down their knowledge list is a vague understanding of how to make entirely average speakers that cost 2-3x what they should and get outperformed by just about everything at 50% of their cost. Their products, from a value standpoint, are truly horrible.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

Cheers Guys
68fury: Yeah Jonah Lomu was doing a demonstration in Wellington about a year ago with his Nissan Truck sh#t that thing was loud.........Hey good luck in the world cup, your gona need it I hope it's a England vs All Blacks final, that would be massive
Old 10-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Hey good luck in the world cup, your gona need it
Yup...

My wife's family is half Welsh so we tend to find more Wales supporters round here...
Old 10-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Inactive User

Have you been watching? I guess it isn't as popular in England as it is in NZ. But I have a feeling since the England team is playing so well that League and Rugby will both see a increase in support and interest
Jonny wilkinson(?) is a bloody good kicker makes our kicker look very very bad......but we make up with trys!!
Who do you honestly think will win?
My guess is All Blacks, but close will be France.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Inactive User

TBH, its not my game at all. I prefer it to goddamn footie though

My father in law is a follower.

But I have no idea!

Now picks for the F1 seats for next season, more my topic...
Old 10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

Was a Mika Hikkinen Fan, But now I follow Rubens Barrichello anyone but Michael Schumacher and Rubens always gets mucked around by the Team and Media, I like the under-dogs
So your a full-on F1 Fan or just Motorsports? What about the World Rally Championship?
Old 10-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Inactive User

I used to be big on F1. Then it all started getting rather boring. If I hear one more time "the cars are evenly matched and this is a very difficult circuit to pass on" I'll just fall asleep. If you're going to decide a race on pit-stops you might as well just turn it into a tire changing contest and save two hours and hundreds of gallons of fuel...

However, this season has picked right up. Sadly I've not had the time to watch all the races.

Back in the day it was like a ritual, out on the saturday night getting drunk and chasing women, get up sunday lunchtime and watch the Grand Prix for two hours, its great hangover TV.

I'm married now

I get to put up shelves and go to the in-laws on a sunday now.

Best race for me was a few years ago at Monaco. It was chaos. Several big smashes and some big engine failures took out Hill, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard, etc. and the race was between like 5 remaining cars and the race was won by someone like Pedro De La Rossa who was crying 'cos he couldn't believe he'd won. (He never even had a points finish before)

WRC doesn't get the coverage here it deserves. It used to but ever expanding soccer coverage (yawn) and cricket as pushed it to the late night cable TV slots.

I like most motorsports. I'd watch lawnmower racing if it were on TV.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

Thats some funny stuff there Fury I'll say they should just have a bloody pit-stop comp!

Yeah, love TV after drinking........Down here it's Rugby Fri and Sat plus drinking, then on Sun we have a program called one Motorsports and that goes from 12 noon till 6pm Ahhhhhh All kinds of racing, but mostly Aussie V8 Super Cars
Plus we get heaps of Motorsport comps around here: Rally of NZ, V8 Supercars - which will be racing around the streets of Wellington City in a few years!! There was a Rally over the back of my house about 2 months ago - I live near a river and theres heaps of gravel to play in
Old 10-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
hey i'm new to the site and have a loud system in my cirrus, sorry you can;t find any american made stereos, but I have a pioneer in my car and my brother has a alpine they both rock, you should look into the before spending a bunch of cash on an overrated bose
Old 10-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

Cheers shaker I've had both brands in my Subaru and I agree they do make some good products. "If" I went Jap I would go Pioneer. Bose is good my parents have all Bose products at home and they work well.....maybe a little overated but they are still a good unit. They stand the test of time, they put a serries of Bose outdoor speakers under water for 15 seconds every 30 mins for I don't know how long but they pulled them up and they played like new Thanks for the info but I just don't want jap Loudness doesn't matter much just as long as it's US and clear and is of decent volume
Old 10-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Bose flat out doesn't make many (if any) good products. I am doing my best to come up with something they make that even approaches an average deal.

If you are willing to go Euro, look into Blaupunkt. Their parent company is now Bosch. Another one to consider would be McIntosh, although pricey, the have fairly classic looks (built by clarion though). If you buy bose, you are going to get asian electronics, and overrated poor performers at that.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

I have always gone with Pioneer speakers and mostly Pioneer receivers. Unfortunately, nowadays, there is very little electronical items that are made here inthe good old U.S. I have had American made electronics in the past, and I must say, when it comes to electronics, the stuff from Japan is made better. Recently, if you have noticed, all Pioneer crap has gone from being made in Japan, to being mass produced in China; which is a pitty because when they switched where they were manufactured, the quality started to suffer. Sony makes great cd receivers, or they did when I bought a X-PLOD reciever.