Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Jeep Speakers

Hey, I just have a quick question. My '98 CHerokee has a speaker that may be going bad. It's the one in the dash on the driver side, but I'm not to sure where. It's making a really nasty rattling sound and a friend thinks it may be blown. The truck has the middle range head unit (cassette only) and a small Infinity/Chrysler amp under the back seat cushion. ANy tips or suggestions, I just bought the truck at CarMax this summer and it probably won't be under warrenty. Also, any thoughts on the AM/FM Cassette/CD head unit that was an upgrade from this one? If I was going to go to that eventually but I'd rather put money into engine hop-ups first , but it's pretty annoying so if I have too.........Thanks, I'd appreciate any suggestions
Old 10-25-2003, 05:03 AM
Inactive User

check oits not just worked loose. This makes them rattle. Also the wire going to it may catch against the back of the speaker cone. I've seen this happen too (usually in door speakers though). If so tape it out of the way so it can't catch.

Otherwise its replace speaker time.

Using too much bass / loudness at high volume will kill speakers.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

I'm kinda figuring on then latter, but a customer at work suggested the same thing you did for the first possibilty, guess he used to do high end audio installs. Now I just need to find some diagrams of how to take the dash apart to figure out what happened.