PDA

View Full Version : '73-'74 B-body in-dash tach (and probably '71-'72)

pv
12-25-2004, 01:09 AM
My '73 Road Runner currently does not have a tachometer. It's a four-speed car, so I would like to install one of the restoration-style in-dash ones such as from Year One. There is a picture of it at their site. For the life of me, I cannot figure out where this thing would go as I'm used to seeing an empty dash "pod" for it such as on my old '70 Super Bee.

My only guess is that it is a tiny tach that goes in the center of the speedometer.

Anyone have a factory tach in their '71-'74 B-body and if so, where is it? It is of course the round "rally-style" gauges. I don't think they had square gauges in these cars, but just wanted to clarify.

dwc43
12-25-2004, 03:02 AM
Yes,I own more than one car with a tach. You need a Rallye dash cause they wont fit in the stock dash. They are about 5" around and fit right beside the speedo. I could get a pic for you latter on of both types dashes. :rolleyes:

pv
12-25-2004, 03:42 AM
Very weird! So you are saying they have two styles of the round dashes, one having an extra "pod" for the tach? Very interesting. And I'm not talking the 1970 B-body style dash, but the '71 and later style, just to clarify.

Yes,I own more than one car with a tach. You need a Rallye dash cause they wont fit in the stock dash. They are about 5" around and fit right beside the speedo. I could get a pic for you latter on of both types dashes. :rolleyes:

dwc43
12-25-2004, 06:27 AM
I own several '71 to '74's. There is a standard dash and a Rallye dash. If it's an SE most likely you got a clock and if it was anything but an SE you got a tach with your rally dash. Standard dash board did not come with a tach. :rolleyes:

pv
12-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Okay, I'm confused. I don't have a clock or a tach, so which gauge gets sacrificed? I have the following four pods, the first two of which are larger, and the last two of which are smaller:

(SPEEDO/ODOMETER)(OIL PRESSURE/GASOLINE)(ALTERNATOR)(TEMPERATURE)

P.S. Just saw a few '71-'72 Satellites with a square dash, so I guess they did have them. Were there two types of the round style, or just square or round?

dwc43
12-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Only two types that I am aware of. I guess you call the standard a squared off type, and then the round type. It's speedo and clock or speedo and tach. I'll see if I can take a pic of mine Sun. afternoon and post them. That will end all confusion. :toast:

pv
12-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Woo-hoo! I found pictures of both rallye-style clusters online!

Looks like the tach setup for rallye-style gauges, from left to right, is as follows:

http://www.point-cars.com/files/CHARGER/int_1.jpg

(SPEEDO/ODOMETER)
(TACH) *** OR *** (CLOCK)
("OIL" / "FUEL")
("TEMP" / "ALT")

The non-tach setup, from left to right, is as follows (ignore the fact the gauges are white in the photo because other than that it looks exactly like my car):

http://www.durangedesign.com/pics/dodge/71-74%20roadrunner/DSCN1164.jpg

(SPEEDO/ODOMETER)
("OIL PRESSURE" / "GASOLINE")
("-D ALTERNATOR C+")
("C TEMPERATURE H")

Please note the first two gauges are large and the last two are small. Anything in quotes is exactly how the gauge reads. What this means is that only the first gauge (speedo/odometer) is shared between the two rallye-style gauges, but nothing else! You would think it would have been easier to just leave a blank gauge as was the case with my '70 Bee without tic-tac-toc option, but maybe they were attempting to make the cars seem less cheap.

dwc43
12-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Most likely they use the same mounts on all gauges and that's why they do not have a blank space. :toast:

teddy1500
12-27-2004, 06:47 PM
if you find a rally dash that has a clock, the tach will interchange with the clock, if you start with a std rally, you will need to change all the small gauges, but the housing will interchange (i think), but what I really want to know is where are the "trip odometer" that is std on the rally dash? can't find it.

dwc43
12-27-2004, 10:50 PM
I've never had one with a trip odometer .. lol. I am pretty sure that they all use the same chassis for the gauges and like you said. :)

teddy1500
12-29-2004, 11:34 PM
I have a '73 Charger SE with a rallye dash, and I have a '71 Satellite wagon, and its rallye dash is currently on the kitchen table (this one has a clock). Having looked over factory advertising and literature, it says 'trip odometer standard on rallye dash' - yet I have never seen it. Kinda curious if it really truly exists.

dwc43
12-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Never say never, but I have never seen one. You know how ma Mopar was about stuff like that. :) :)

pv
09-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Okay, I acquired a gauge cluster (complete with gauges minus the tach or clock) which will accommodate my in-dash tach plans, so I'm happy! Hopefully the wiring will just bolt right up, even though the gauges are way different (mine is like the "white gauge" example above).

Anyway, the only other difference between the clock and tach bezels is that the clock pod has a hole/pin knob in the lens so that you can set the clock, so I gotta change that out if I'm gonna do a tach.

Damn, now what am I gonna do for a clock now that I think about it? Haha...

DanL
09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
If you're going from the standard dash (rectangular speedometer) to the Rallye dash, you're going to have to replace all the wiring behind the dash (I just did the same thing with my 73). It's not a huge obstacle if you have no aversion to wiring but it's not just a plug 'n play deal.

If you're simply going from one type Rallye dash to another, it should be easier. Just remember that your engine gauges will be different, you'll have to replace the oil pressure switch with an oil pressure transmitter for the gauge.

The dash I bought from eBay came with its own wiring harness so that made it somewhat easier but I think you can scab together the wiring from your old dashboard if you need to.

Good luck.

dwc43
09-19-2007, 01:36 PM
That's odd. I did not have to change anything in the '72. Even had the wire for the power source for the tach to plug into. All I had to do was add the wire from the tach to the bulk head connector and then run that wire from the outside to the neg. side of the coil and it all works fine. :)

DanL
09-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I guess maybe the 72 isn't the same as the 73, then (I've never been behind the dashboard of a 72). The standard 73/74 dash assembly has a plug-in type of connection to the harness; the Rallye dash is hard-wired from the harness to each individual gauge, light and other component.

dwc43
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
That's the diff then. Cause these are all hard wired to each gauge on he '72 and probably why it had the power source for the tach or clock use. No, can't be for the clock use cause it needs power 24/7 so it's just to power the tach. All I had to do was wire it to the coil. :toast:

pv
09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a rallye gauge cluster already, and acquired the gauges that will accommodate a tach (or clock) option. Basically, the two right-side gauges (the smaller ones) have two gauges in one for each "pod", instead of just one gauge in each. Looks like I'm all set now. Just gotta buy the tach (big bucks, unfortunately).