Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Default Installing new stereo in vintage Mopar

Hello: 2 years ago I purchased a 67 Barracuda off of eBay.
It turned out to be quite a rip-off, anyhow I have completely gone through this car, and rewired everything.
All that is left for me to do is install the stereo.
I want to put in something cool, and modern. I do not care about cutting the hole in the dash bigger, or any thing like that. I already purchased a Panasonic head unit with 4x50, and a motorized face plate with a screen saver.
My question is this..is there a special mounting kit for old Mopars? What would be a good typical 4 speaker set-up w/ or without an amp. I don't need anything too radical, but something that you could crank up. What would you suggest as far as front, speakers/rear deck shelf speakers?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Sounds

I am putting in six speakers, 1971 Demon. The package shelf is already punched out for 6X9's. And I'm adding two in the doors or kick panels, and two low to the floor in the back seat area.
For face plates in the dash, see your local stereo dealer for some choices.
Use large wire, and I prefer shielded pairs to prevent interference from fuel pumps and ignition.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

has anyone ever put a radio in the glove box? do you know if anyone makes a kit for that or am i fabbing something up?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM

I found a Sherwood AM/FM/Cassette with CD changer control that still had shaft mounted knobs (!) that fit my 65 perfectly when I trimmed the center bar out of my OEM AM radio faceplate. I put the changer in the trunk behind the wheel well and it worked great. The free air 8's I had mounted in the devider had cheap radio shack hard dome tweeters mounted up and over from them with a built in crossover. The mid 5.5's were mounted in the lower doors because the kick panels were too shallow and I had another pair of self contained tweeters right in the corners of the dash pad, shooting up, reflecting off the glass. I had a Sherwood 400 amp under the passenger seat (it was tight, I think something was laying on it after I put the seat back in) and it rocked. I think I had about 300 total into is as most stuff was reconditioned from Sherwood here in Cerritos. That was my old setup. I have since downgraded to a cheap ass shaft mount cassette and rear 6X9's because my glass is more expensive than my stereo. I had a 57 Ford that had its rear hood pryed open for a set of 30 buck speakers, and it was unlocked! Stupid theives.....
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
has anyone ever put a radio in the glove box? do you know if anyone makes a kit for that or am i fabbing something up?
I have seen quite a few customs and rods with the stereo in the glove box, I am sure they fabbed up their mountings, but if you do a search on the web, you might find a company that does that kind of thing.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabillac View Post
Hello: 2 years ago I purchased a 67 Barracuda off of eBay.
It turned out to be quite a rip-off, anyhow I have completely gone through this car, and rewired everything.
All that is left for me to do is install the stereo.
I want to put in something cool, and modern. I do not care about cutting the hole in the dash bigger, or any thing like that. I already purchased a Panasonic head unit with 4x50, and a motorized face plate with a screen saver.
My question is this..is there a special mounting kit for old Mopars? What would be a good typical 4 speaker set-up w/ or without an amp. I don't need anything too radical, but something that you could crank up. What would you suggest as far as front, speakers/rear deck shelf speakers?
Not sure if you ever came up with a set of speakers that satisfied you or not, as many can tell you , speakers are all a personal choice item. I prefer Pioneer and will use Kenwood, but absolutely abhor Infinity. To me they sound like someone has poured mud in the tweeters. If you like great bass but don't care about treble, then Infinity could be what you are looking for. I plan on putting the Pioneer (not sure which ones yet) 6x9 in the rear deck, mounting a pair of 4" at the top of the A-pillars and then finding a way to box and install a set of 5.5-6" speakers under the dash to get a more full sound. Probably will put a sub in the trunk, but not sure yet.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

Hey Dude,

I'm sitting in my shop listening to my 68 Plymouth Sat and stumbled across yer post. I just need to point out the pleasure of having a USB port on the front of yer deck(which ever you choose) I download 8 gig on a memory stick and have way more music to listen to than any cruze I pull. you can elliminate the bulky CD books and always have more than 1 stick just pull it out and put another in. It loads as fast as a CD and is available in standard deck size or (din size) Check it out even if you dont buy one you'll agree ther awsome. GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Inactive User

sorry about the last post I have a habit of getting off topic. Ive been loyal to Alpine speakers. but check out MB quart and Infinity they have some nice lines. If you go with podular tweets higher up, I always advise silk dome tweeters, Night and day.Good luck
Old 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Second the silk domes~ So much better (to my ear)
Old 05-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Any suggestions for a basic in dash radio for a 1953 Plymouth?
There's not much room behind the dash for a new one.
I'm new to this site and I thank you in advance for your help. Its mighty quiet in the old Cranbrook right now
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Radio install

Hey Chuck,

If I wanted to preserve the original look there is a couple options, 1) glove compartment cd player is great for keeping it hidden from thieves and also helps seal out dust, You could also add a shuttle under the seat. 2) Under the dash normally centered over the trannie hump, This is good for ease of station or cd change but it can look a little hoakie with the whole exposed sides of the unit showing. 3) Custom build a unit under the dash with M.D.F. (medium density fiber board) you could cover it with the same carpet used in the resto, My favorite is the #3, I chose to drop the unit off at an outfit that installs LINE-X, Also asked them to shoot it when they had a rig they were doin(saved a little cash). Also you get the pleasure and self gratification of making it your own creation for your oun pride and joy.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

Do a search online for a company called radios for old cars. They offer some new radios and have a list of vendors who can convert an old radio to modern insides. I do not know if they have the specific radio for your car, but they offer the factory style ones for the 71-74 B-body which I have. I will most likely be looking into that when I get farther with my car. Their website says they can convert any older radio to new tech and it will include inputs for cd or XM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hoover View Post
Any suggestions for a basic in dash radio for a 1953 Plymouth?
There's not much room behind the dash for a new one.
I'm new to this site and I thank you in advance for your help. Its mighty quiet in the old Cranbrook right now
Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

I had my radio in the glove box and have now moved it back. Pain in the ass turning it on/changing channels while driving.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Speakers are all a personal choice item, I prefer Pioneer and will use Kenwood.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

I agree, same here. Right now my Neon has Kenwood in it as when I was shopping for speakers the Pioneers they had in stock were not right for my car. I really don't care for the sound of Infinity aftermarket speakers. All of the ones I listened to sounded like they had mud in the tweeters. Plenty of bass but no high notes.

The Road Runner will be getting Pioneer when I can afford to upgrade the stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandaschmick View Post
Speakers are all a personal choice item, I prefer Pioneer and will use Kenwood.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Inactive User

I used to sell and install car audio and competed locally. IMO, you can't go wrong with Pioneer. they have a good product at a nice price, perfect for the average listener.

Crystal Mobile Sound had very nice sounding coaxials and components and competition quality subwoofers.

Kicker Car Audio is a mainstay for decent speakers, subs, and amps. More expensive than Pioneer, but usually a step up in quality too.

For a true audiophile with deep pockets, Focal is the way to go.

Do some research, read customer reviews, and remember that like a drivetrain your stereo is only as strong as it's weakest component. You could have the best speakers in the world but they won't sound any better if you are using a cheap amp.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdrydock View Post
I used to sell and install car audio and competed locally. IMO, you can't go wrong with Pioneer. they have a good product at a nice price, perfect for the average listener.

Crystal Mobile Sound had very nice sounding coaxials and components and competition quality subwoofers.

Kicker Car Audio is a mainstay for decent speakers, subs, and amps. More expensive than Pioneer, but usually a step up in quality too.

For a true audiophile with deep pockets, Focal is the way to go.

Do some research, read customer reviews, and remember that like a drivetrain your stereo is only as strong as it's weakest component. You could have the best speakers in the world but they won't sound any better if you are using a cheap amp.
Just found out that Pioneer is at least partially owned by Sharp. Reviews of the newest line of Blu Ray players say that they are junk compared to the old stuff. Wonder if the same is going to happen to their audio stuff.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

It is always possible. Every brand I have ever worked with went through highs and lows. At one point Panasonics were great, then with a new model year they started having troubles ejecting discs. Same thing happened to Pioneer around 2002. I have seen troubles with Kenwood, Sony and JVC as well. In my personal experience Pioneer was the least troublesome head unit.

My Pioneer Rep told us the Wal-Mart head units were not built as well as the rest. Whether or not this is true is open to debate, but they were at that time different than our models using red displays instead of blue on the three entry level units.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCzy View Post
I agree, same here. Right now my Neon has Kenwood in it as when I was shopping for speakers the Pioneers they had in stock were not right for my car. I really don't care for the sound of Infinity aftermarket speakers. All of the ones I listened to sounded like they had mud in the tweeters. Plenty of bass but no high notes.

The Road Runner will be getting Pioneer when I can afford to upgrade the stereo.
MoparCzy, When you upgrade your stereo, what are your plans? I've got a 72RR also but dont want to cut up the dash to install a different head unit. Any experience with those re-worked, upgraded factory units? Kinda spendy but not many options with the layout of the 72 B-body dash!:
Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 PM

You could make a simple chassis that bolts under the dash, for a new head unit. Many of the new units have remote controls, so the reach wouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
You could make a simple chassis that bolts under the dash, for a new head unit. Many of the new units have remote controls, so the reach wouldn't be an issue.
Thats what im doing in my car
Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Inactive User

I built a custom console in the floor (automatic column shift) that sat on the transmission hump of an old GM I had. I had 6x9s mounted on the sides. It looked great. I did a mock up with cardboard to get it nice and tight. I'll be doing this again with my Fury except I'll be adding cup holders this time.