Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

Default New car build / Update 6/3

Car is For Sale
Here are a couple pictures of our progress, this is a Aspen/Volare we are building for my kid. We have lots to do but hope to run the winter series here, we have a race middle of October but that pushing it. We haven't started on the front yet spending the time to keep it level. Hoping to build it light enough to move weight were we need it.

We are using alot of parts off my old car it was hurt pretty bad this year and has beed retired, But was a great car thanks to Jamie @ Charger Chassis.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

keep the pictures coming Bob, that way we can steal some ideas for our new build.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

Couple more, getting started on the front. but here is some more from the rear

Anybody notice how rustfree this car is even the lower quarters are rust free,
I am doing this at Redline's shop (www.redlinerollcagekits.com) we are saving all the info to have kits available. We have several G.M. and pickup kits. Justin Robins the owner is huge into offroad and has some riggs on the cover of Off Road Magizine. This is our third oval track car and the shops fourth.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

Wow, Bob...you're a pretty damn good fabricator in your own right! Not really sure why you needed that car that I'd built! This thing looks great...keep up the good work!

I'll have to put up some pics of our new A-body when we get started on it, and we'll compare notes!! Suppose to be picking it up this weekend.

Take care and congrats on the 2nd in points this season!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 AM

Bob did you use the midsize main cage kit from Redline? I'm starting to look around for a kit.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb View Post
Bob did you use the midsize main cage kit from Redline? I'm starting to look around for a kit.
Reb, that kit WILL work but we have saved all the info on this cage its a little longer to hit the front crossmember and has different door bars. The Mid size kit is a little narrow. I am sending you a P.M.

Jamie Thanks but, Justin has all the equipment and a much better welder than me, He's great to work with cause he will do it my way. I did not have the opertunity to work here when I found that old car. Wish this would turn into a full time Job but right now its just whenever we have race car work.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Did you add box tubing to the rockers,can't tell from pictures.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

Well got some more done on the car

Reb, I think we are going to use 1 3/4" in the rocker, since it had those subframe connectors when we got it.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

nice car- i would fill the left rear frame rail with some lead before you sew it up!!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Biggrin Real Estate - Location, Location, Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar7x View Post
nice car- i would fill the left rear frame rail with some lead before you sew it up!!
That is pretty good idea if you need weight all the time and you will have additional movable weights. I would place the permanent lead over the axle if it were my car (in the left frame rail as suggested) and then use the movable weights to get your corner weights closer.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Inactive User

a little in the rt hump over rearend pretty good also -maybe concrete the rest makes the rail stout -ole trick we been doin -cheatin-however you look at it lol
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

We can put weight were ever we need it. I think I will wait til we scale the car before we do anything, My boy weighs 103 dressed with shoes(LOL)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Sweet lookin build Bob!! Don't see that it could be done any better! Sucks that I will have to run against it. LOL
Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

How do thoses stock fmj tranverse torsions bars work. Are they heavy enought or do you have to do something to stiffen up the front suspension?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudologist View Post
How do thoses stock fmj tranverse torsions bars work. Are they heavy enought or do you have to do something to stiffen up the front suspension?
Yes they work, maybe not for all tracks. There is both good and bad info on this site. It depends on what class rules you have, There are other spring choices none cheap. Shocks are very important, get rid of the rubber kframe mounts weld them up solid whatever just do away with the rubber also weld a piece from the upper control arm mount to the frame they flex bad. If you can not run a front hoop weld up the inner fenders that will help stiffen it up don't get rid of them.
Some folks hate these cars, I was scared after all read about them. now that I have ran one I like them and realy like the way they drive. My opinion would be they are easier than a straight bar car to work on.(not setup)
There are several guys running them on here, reb, scott northropp,4u racer, Dusty Dodge and I think cage mans brother.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 PM

It seems to me that those cars will allways be loose going in. But that dosent mean they wont work. If you know that, you can drive it different. Good luck and it looks like you are doing a very good job on the cage.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

driving different is the key thing. I change my entry speed in and early back on it, sure messed up the other racers, "what you doing?" to quote a couple bow tie boys.
Welding and solid k-member mounts, sub-frames, great shocks, get the bump steer right (I still working on it), a steer quickner and power steering helps alot.
Scott it was cool to meet you and see your car on monday, a fellow mopar buddy it's alway fun.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u racer View Post
driving different is the key thing. I change my entry speed in and early back on it, sure messed up the other racers, "what you doing?" to quote a couple bow tie boys.
Welding and solid k-member mounts, sub-frames, great shocks, get the bump steer right (I still working on it), a steer quickner and power steering helps alot.
Scott it was cool to meet you and see your car on monday, a fellow mopar buddy it's alway fun.
Back at ya Gary! Bob and I were talking about how fun it would be to go up to your track some time and watch you all race.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

Bob done anymore work on the car ?? More photos, more photos??
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

Your racing season has to be drawing slowly nearer, just like ours is. How's the progress on the new car?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparracer View Post
Your racing season has to be drawing slowly nearer, just like ours is. How's the progress on the new car?
Kinda slow I should have some updates this week its about ready for cage paint, I "think" I have a mod ride ( got a handshake on it)so I havn't touched my car. We ran a winter race today in our enduro car put the kid in it in the econo class he has a learning curve but looked better every lap, we were quick in the enduro but we were fighting some heating about 50laps in finished 75, need to get some gear out of it.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Did I hear you say "Enduro"?? I'm gonna be building one as soon as I'm done with Damon's new car, and I'm looking for a place to go with it! What's the track like where you ran at today? Sounds like a road trip!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparracer View Post
Did I hear you say "Enduro"?? I'm gonna be building one as soon as I'm done with Damon's new car, and I'm looking for a place to go with it! What's the track like where you ran at today? Sounds like a road trip!!
I76 Speedway in Fort Morgan Co. www.i-76speedway.com Next one is March 6th. Its lots of fun I run a 73 Satelite and my brother in law runs a 83 cordoba we both run with a passanger it makes it fun.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

built a 78 aspen for street stock Raced it for 3 years on a 3/8 mile highbank dirt track.Icould not get the car thru the turns.the soft t-bars with their L shape and h/d sway bar just wasn't heavy enought I got brand new bars from a dodge dealer every 4 weeks. they get soft very quick I tried 2 shocks on each front wheel also no help.also had many engine failures due to poor oil pan design. but when it was a wet track nobody could beat us.three year did win 5 races.also we were running aganist mostly cameros with full race springs.they never passed us except in the turns. also used a 8 1/4 ' rear with a 6.50 posi.took many hits lost many rear tires/wheels but never broke or bent a axle. like the chevy boys. one other problem is its hard to set up,the engine sits about 2/4 inch to the right causing more weight to be added, tried to move it over but steering box in way,puts extra weight on r/f wheel. ringer
Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

Well its been a while, so a little update car is getting very close to being done finally. I have to finish the sheet metal and letter it. need to install the kids engine and put this one in my car... My car will be another thead im got the car back that I built for Scott Northrupp after he had a sky,turf,sky,turf,sky and finally turf issue.. lol

Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

and acouple more

Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

Lookin good!!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

Man does that look good Bob!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM

lookin good Bob
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Inactive User

looks great! what was done different to get the shock to come through the upper?