Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Surplus Penske Dodge engines?

I wonder what Penske will do with all their surplus Dodge NASCAR engines? Sell them cheap? They must have a lot of them, because they were racing Trucks, Nationwide, and Cup. Do any short track rules allow those engines in their divisions?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

I doubt very much they would let these out. Most pro race shops have heavily guarded mods to engines, and they don't want interlopers to know what's going on in there
Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 PM

They will be for sale but for cheep, i doubt it... Years ago when Keselowski switched brands a buddy bought a craftsman truck engine from them to run in his super late model... Man that thing ran for a 9 to 1 engine... Now its 13 to 1 and runs even better...LOL google it, there are company's that just sell used NASCAR parts... I didnt look to hard but the only 1 I saw was a Roush Yates 358 used cup engine, new cost 35,000, used now at 17,500... If a race shop had guarded secrets they would never sell a engine....LOL Most cant afford the 30 to 60,000 or more price tag...
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adodgemann View Post
... If a race shop had guarded secrets they would never sell a engine....
Yeah but Penske is closing the doors of his engine shop, and Dodge is totally pulling out of NASCAR. So why would anyone care?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Dodge had pulled about all of their funding years ago... Some guys will still be running Dodges, maybe not in NASCAR cup cars, but in the lower levels... I bet a lot of them show up at the ARCA races... The cup engines arent really Dodge engines anyway as built per the rule book...
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Inactive User

The whole thing is stupid. I think they should just come up with a generic "cup" spec engine block and heads that all cars will use. .they're basically that now anyway. They already laid the groundwork in the 70's when they let Buick, Olds, Pontiac use Chev engines. let the teams build them or buy them from a builder. let them put valve covers with their chosen manufacturers name on it Dodge, Chev, Toyota etc. and let them go. this Seems to work OK in Funnycars for the last 40 years.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Inactive User

That would eliminate the crying that one manufacurer has a HP advantage, but then again it takes the brand out of it and then it becomes an IROC car, I think they should back up a few years and get back to letting the teams have more working room and get back to the "stock" car look
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar29mod View Post
That would eliminate the crying that one manufacurer has a HP advantage, but then again it takes the brand out of it and then it becomes an IROC car, I think they should back up a few years and get back to letting the teams have more working room and get back to the "stock" car look
I agree, with a "generic" engine & even less brand recognition it would be like Indycar, All teams running the same Honda engine. B-o-r-i-n-g ! Its sad to see Dodge leaving Nascar. I hope someday they will return. I paid "0" attention to Nascar before Dodge returned several years ago. I will root for Keslowski till the end of this season then? Syonara.
Meanwhile exciting NHRA news, Dodge driver Allen Johnson is #1 in Pro Stock & qualifying 1 or 2 at every event!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

most of the bits and pieces will find their way into lower classes even into the off-road scene.

I know of two guys who buy their used off road engines from Rousch... ex-Cup engines.