Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:46 PM

Default Dakota on a dirt track

Hi everyone,
I know there were some guys on here who were racing Dodge Dakotas on dirt and I'm looking for a little information. We wouldn't be running the Dakota body, just using the frame and suspension and putting a car body on it. I'm just wondering, what are the benefits of running a Dakota? I have read before that the rack and pinion steering was a benefit, but our rules actually don't allow rack and pinion so that wouldn't help. Our current car is an early 70s B-body, so it is obviously torsion bars and the Dakota would allow coil springs in the front. How much difference would that make? If anybody has any information on some of these questions or general information about racing the Dakotas, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 PM

Default Dakota on dirt

I have a couple of questions based on what you have posted.

1. If rack and pinion are not allowed, why are you considering a Dakota chassis?
2. If you "re-bodied" a Dakota chassis, what steering would you put on it instead of the rack and pinion?
3. Since I've built both e bodys and a bodys with torsion bars, and had good success with both.... I still would prefer the coil spring front suspension of the Dakota. Many wins to back that up.

sorry for all the questions, but I had to ask.
Lon
Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM

I'm considering the Dakota because it seems like people who have ran them have said they've really liked it. It would also be the only way, within the rules, to run coil front suspension. I was just wondering if there was enough benefit for coils instead of torsion bars to make it worth using a Dakota.
As far as the steering goes, I would just run a conventional steering gear setup. And maybe that isn't something that would work. I'm not sure. I'm really just in the early stages of this idea.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Just dunno

You are venturing into unchartered waters by trying to graft a conventional steering box onto the Dakota frame. I don't know what to tell you. Must be some really strange rules that will allow a B-body on a Dakota frame, but not allow the the stock steering setup. best of luck.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 PM

I may be mistaken but I think that most of the four-wheel-drive Dakotas from the 90's had a conventional steering box but I think they were torsion bars.

Last edited by NEIA; 03-11-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
body , car , dakota , dirt , information