Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

Default 2000 dakota power steering problem

I had to replace the power sterring pump on my 4.7L. The new pump squeals often as if it was low on fluid. There is plenty of fluid and it is bubbling like a Dr. Pepper bottle that has been dropped. It is not leaking any fluid. Does anyone know a fix for this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Inactive User

My best guess would be that there is a blockage in the pressure line. Is the steering hard? What was the reason you changed the pump? And have you checked the steering rack to see if it is seized? The bubbling indicated that fluid probably is not getting to the pressure side and thus not getting to return to the pump. Sometimes new pumps come with dust plugs in the ports and if not noticed they will cause problems with flow. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

The steering isn't hard, it just makes a lot of noise. I had to change pumps because the origonal blew out the front seal while a was doing some dirt road driving (donuts). I have not done anything with the rack. I am not sure how to check that out. I did have to change the pressure sensor on it though. It is also strange that it acts up mostly when the truck has been driven at operating temp for a while.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

I am experiencing a similar problem in the last few days. The front seal on the pump is starting to leak and the steering is very stiff at idle. Is there a filter in line that might be plugged? I have not touched the system since buying the truck, other than to check the fluid level. I am considering replacing the pump, since it is leaking, but a blocked pressure line would show the same type of thing. Any thoughts?