Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Factory Dyno numbers are taken at the crank, so there's no transmission invovled. Now they are taken with a water pump, power steering pump, A/C compressor running, and alternator(with load on it) and power brake unit (which shouldn't make any diffenernce unless there's a vacumm leak), and fan and clutch if that applies. Those are called "parasitic losses", and sometime in the late '70's the Fed's made the manufacturers add them in, and they can add-up to 25HP or more easily. Also, when Diamler bought Chrysler they took their HP readings in DIN instead of SAE horsepower. 1 SAE HP=745 watts; 1 DIN HP=750 watts, not a huge deal there, but SAE reading are for one minute, then the engine can be wreaked(GM readings). DIN ratings they run they engine at 100% power for 50 hours, back it down to 50% for 150 hours, then it must produce 90% of the original HP to pass. The JIS standards for Japanese engines are even tougher; 100% power for 100 hours, then 90% of rated power or the design fails. Cars and motocycles and outboards, and watercraft, and generators all meet these standards. That's why Hondas and Toyotas never seem to wear out...when they get about 300,000 miles, they go to Mexico and run some more. Except for an all-out racing bike, I've never seen a worn-out Jap motorcycle engine. I've seen some break, and many that have been abused to death, and run out of oil and frag, but not piston slapping, oil-burning, rod-knocking worn-out. Including a 1000cc Gold Wing with 450,000 miles on it; it wore out the DRIVE SHAFT spline, but the motor was good.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Default R/T 5.9 Headed or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_the_reverb View Post
Let make it easy for you. It doesn't. R/T heads did not come on production trucks. Common misconception, though.
Ran
Wellllllllllllllllllll, that just sucks. You buy an R/T and all you get is paint on the tail or some other place. Guess I will have to buy a set and install when I put the headers on. Is MOPAR the only place to buy them ? Y pipes are 2.5 to the muffler and then I put 2.5 duals on when I put on the low restriction flow through muffler. Guess the .6 or .7 rockers w/ high rise covers also. MOPAR still the best place for those additions also ?? Tazmanbob
Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Any Mopar dealer can get them. Mancini, Hughes Engines, Ray Barton, probably JEGS, and PAWS. You've got 1.6 rockers stock. Hughes Engines has a cam that'll do 90% of what the 1.7's will do a heck-of-a-lot cheaper. You might want to consider a Borla single exhaust. Doesn't sound as cool, but flows great. Helps power and torque and even mileage. Good stuff. A bigger throttle body with a cam and headers is in order and a cut-down "beer-barrel" intake from Hughes Engines. Call Dale at Hughes and tell him what you want to do. He'll tell you if it's practicle and what you need to do to get there. 300HP from the 5.9 isn't that big a deal. Costs some money, yes, but nothing at the machine shop. 300HP at the rear-wheels will cost some serious change, but it's doable. Figure you're losing about 75HP in the drive train to the rear wheels. That's a realistic number, stick or auto. It may be dissapointing, but it's darn near right-on.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmanbob View Post
Is MOPAR the only place to buy them ?
The R/T heads will (or already have) go out of production pretty soon. Be aware that their finish quality is poor, so they will need to be prepared if you want your money's worth. Mopar Performance is moving towards stamping the M logo on Edelbrock heads (already released), so you can get the aluminum heads through your dealer. EQ heads "Iron Ram" is a high quality, low cost iron head, that has much better finish than the R/T heads. It also outflows them out of the box. The R/T has more potential in fully ported form, but I have a feeling that's not what you're looking for, so the EQ or Edelbrock heads might serve you better.
Good luck,
Ran
Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

The Edelbrock aluminum heads are fantastic, but the R/T heads are what all the winners in the Mopar Muscle small-block power contest used...no porting or anything, so they're the bargain power. With porting, of course they can be improved. I'm not familar with the "Iron Ram" heads, so I can't give an intelligent call on them. What you can get for the money makes a big difference for most of us. Any of these heads will give more power; more money= more power. That equation goes both ways.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Inactive User

Well ......... to take care of an immediate need, which of the plug-in Performance Improvement Tuners will help with improving the trans shift points, and othe things, on my 2003 R/T ??
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

We are going Asphalt Modified racing, our short track has no clue these R/T heads are discontinued. Now I need a set to run. Anyone have a set of OEM P5007140 1.92/1.625 heads to sell?