Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-30-2000, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

What would be the best fuel filter to use for my Dakota? (4.7L) I have read elsewhere that Dodge only has a sock filter in the tank, but no inline filter. (!!)

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2000, 02:31 AM

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think that you can use an inline fuel filter due to the pressure in the lines.

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, Magnum Performance Super Karbine 250 throttle body, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 10-31-2000, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

Accordig to the DC shop manual there are 2 filters in the system. Both of them are built into the fuel-pump-assembly. Apparently this is the IDENTICAL setup as used on MANY DC vehicles. (Common parts are easier to manufacture / design for.)

This document goes on to say that when the filter(s) need replacement, it will trigger a check-engine warning with approprate trouble code.

I have not heard of anyone adding another filter inline to the system as you are suggesting. Is there anything specific that makes you feel that the OEM filters are not up to the task?
Old 10-31-2000, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

No, nothing in particular. I'm just a gadget junkie, and I am looking for more stuff to add on to my truck. (Big surprise!) I just added the AMSOIL BMK-13 bypass oil filter system and was looking for something for the fuel line. I already added the Airaid (K&N Air filter) system, but have been looking at the z-filter from intense performance. I also added the Gibson exhaust system. (Sweet!) Plus a whole host of exterior "enhancements".
I'll get a pic posted soon.