Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:31 AM

Default 1996 Dodge Dakota truck weird problem

A friend has a 1996 Dodge Dakota truck and the problem they been haveing with it is sometimes the guages work and sometimes they dont. I have heard of this happening befor with other vehicals but never experienced the problem myself. Can anyone tell whats going on and how to fix it?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Could be a voltage problem. I am completely ignorant of the Dakota's electrics. But many vehicles have used a voltage limiter to bring down the voltage to the gauges. M body mopars bring voltage down to 5v to the gauges. Voltage limiters can fail and can be intermittent.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:27 PM

Biggrin

Dodge Neons had this problem because of poor solder joints on the back of the panel board. My 2006 Ram does the same thing now and then. The dealer took the dash apart and couldn't find anything wrong but after it was reassembled, the problem was gone for about a year. I have always suspected the wiring going through the tilt-wheel. I used to be able to kill the dash by just moving the wheel up and down.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirorod View Post
Could be a voltage problem. I am completely ignorant of the Dakota's electrics. But many vehicles have used a voltage limiter to bring down the voltage to the gauges. M body mopars bring voltage down to 5v to the gauges. Voltage limiters can fail and can be intermittent.
Thats what i was thinking but its not my vehical and i was thinking that they didnt install voltage limiters on newer vehicals.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Dodge Neons had this problem because of poor solder joints on the back of the panel board. My 2006 Ram does the same thing now and then. The dealer took the dash apart and couldn't find anything wrong but after it was reassembled, the problem was gone for about a year. I have always suspected the wiring going through the tilt-wheel. I used to be able to kill the dash by just moving the wheel up and down.
I dont think this truck has tilt, i will have to ask them about that one. Thats a good idea.