Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 PM

Help Info needed Dakota R/T?? Non r/t??

I am thinking about purchaseing a 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T. I am not familier with the Dakotas at all and need info befor purchaeing this truck to make sure everything is legit. What is the difference between the Dakotas and the Dakota R/Ts? In other words how do i know for sure that this truck is a real R/T or just a plain Dakota? How good are the 2000 models? Any info that can be given i will be greatful. I just hate to put money into this truck and it be a ticking time bomb waiting to stop running.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:45 PM

Biggrin

Here is a place to start. I believe the R/T had the 360CI V8 rated at 250 HP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Dakota
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked it out but i still dont know if what im looking at is a true R/T or not. What letter or number in the VIN would state it was a true R/T?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:55 AM

Biggrin

I thought that the R/T trucks had a badge on the body, perhaps on the tailgate. I believe there might be an emissions decal or tag under the hood, identifying the engine. John may comment here with the VIN info.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I thought that the R/T trucks had a badge on the body, perhaps on the tailgate. I believe there might be an emissions decal or tag under the hood, identifying the engine. John may comment here with the VIN info.
Thats what im wondering about this truck their is no badge on it and nothing under the hood that indicates the engine size. It does have a R/T on the tailgate but i dont think it is factory. The VIN info would be great.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:12 PM

Also when i went to test drive the truck it started great ran great drove great, clean engine clean under the truck from front to back no leaks. But when went to kick in the passing gear the REV limiter would shut it off and on. It didnt do it the first time i kicked in passing gear but it did all the other times i did it. Thats the best way to explain it as being a rev limiter. Why would it do this? Thats the only thing wrong with the performance.