Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-04-2001, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Dunner details please

Dunner I've been away and come back to discover you've got a tutbo Dak. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Can you share some details as to what all you've done,boost internals etc. Is it the same 4.7 engine that came with the truck? I noticed your sig say 4.7 HO.

Great job Dunner. Bravo!!
Old 11-04-2001, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

Hey Jefster - Thanks for the props. I called it a 4.7 HO just for grins. It is definately the same engine that came in the truck. No internal changes whatsoever. Sorry for the confusion.

I am using a Garrett T04 turbo with a Deltagate adjustable waste gate. I fabricated a new exhaust manifold for the passenger side that brings in the exhaust from the drivers side also. The turbo is mounted to the passenger side exhaust manifold. I fabricated a complete 3" downpipe out of the turbo that ties directly into the 3" exhaust system that I did earler. Now it's a single 3" pipe from turbo to tailpipe.

http://members.home.net/cartel5/Turb...TurboPage.html

I'm running a Vortech boost actuated FMU with an additional hi pressure/hi output fuel pump inline. Right now I have been limiting the boost to a max of 10 lbs. For the track I am still using the custom programmed pcm that I had done earlier. For towing my trailer it's got too much ignition timing so I bought a stock pcm for the "towing" mode. I am in the middle of building a air/water intercooler system for it. That's a necessity for sure. I've been able to get around without one by using self control. If the air temps are high I don't jump on it. Once an intercooler is in place, I'll be able to play with more boost and also lean out the fuel mixture somewhat. The addition of the intercooler, more boost and less fuel should all make more power.... and safely I hope.
Old 11-04-2001, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

Duner I am completly impressed with what you have done to your truck. Thanks for sharing the details and please becarefull with your baby. I am extremly leary about the pistons provided for high performance aplications but am actually rather glad to see this engine producing 12's. Especially a CC!!

I rather you be the guinea pig rather than me LOL!! Imagine what we could do with this engine with forged internals!! I was shopping for an R/T when my dealer told me about the new SOHC engine and have been sold on it's potential ever since. You are proving what I anticipated the motor can do.

I will eventually go the SC route just to avoid some of the complications and custom fabricating you have done but what you have done is truly unique and it's hats off.

What are your max RPM's right now?

Take care and keep us all posted.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffster

What are your max RPM's right now?

Right now the engine only pulls to about 5500 under full boost. As rich as I am running the thing.... the ignition can't fire all of the fuel under full boost (10 lbs) beyond that rpm. When I cut the boost back to only 5 lbs - the ignition is capable of firing it past 6000 rpm. I don't want to see how it reacts if I hit the rev-limiter of 6700 while under boost - so I make sure and shift at about 6000 rpm. MSD says they will have an 8-channel digital ignition system available for this engine at about the first of the year. Once that happens, I'll also have the ability to have boost retarded timing control.... which will also make tuning easier.