Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-02-2001, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

Question Nitrous with a SC

So after I finally get the SC on the truck I am going to want more power . Is it okay to run a nitrous kit with it? If so how big a kit? I was told by NX that they sold a 60-150 adjustable kit for the 4.7. Is that going to be okay with the SC? Is there anything that I will need to do to run them together? Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:51 AM
Regular Guy

I'm no expert but Bernd (Fastdak) from Speedtweaks did it. I think you will need some serious timing controls and fuel management things. Plan on busting a few head gaskets also.

BTW, will the S/C work with the Shaker hood?
Old 12-02-2001, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

Thanks I will try to contact him. As for the Shaker with the SC, I guess I will be finding out. I have been trying to contact KB about some measurments on the main unit to no avail. If it mounts directly up to the intake manifold, as it appears in thier brouchure pics, then with a few mods yes. I do not think I will be able to make it actually function but the appearance will still be there, which I like. If I can not make it a functional hood I will chop off how ever many inches I have to so the lower part of the scoop will "straddle" the SC main unit. I am friends with a good bidy work guy who has plenty of experience with fiberglass and he sais whenever I am ready bring it to his house and he will help me set it up. It will be real interesting.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:25 AM

Arawn, as you probably allready know the 4.7L came from the factory very effecient and it's been difficult for the aftermarket industry to be able to squeeze any more power out of this tight little engine. The best thing I did was put the SC on. I've had no problems with it at all and it's been allmost a year now. I too now have the need for more speed, but I don't think it's going to happen with this truck. I just don't think the engine could take much more... and still be reliable.
The KB unit runs 6lbs of boost and they sell a 9lb. pulley for the supercharger, but you have to run 100 octane race gas or serious engine damage WILL occur. That's what the tech guys at KB tell me. The pulley is only like $60 I think, and changing the pullies back and forth is easy to do. I guess this would be OK to do for the occasional trip to the track, and you could pick up 3 more pounds of boost, but not something you'll want to do everyday.
Maybe I'm wrong and it can be done with no problems, but I'm not going to be the one to try it. Last thing I need to do is blow something up on this truck. I have too much money tied up in it now as it is. Just my 2 cents on this.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:24 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input. I can't afford for anything to blow up either. That is why I post it here, I figure there has to be at least a few people who know this stuff from good or bad experience. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:06 PM
Inactive User

when you put nitrous on a car with a blower such as the KB, the HP gain is more than stated. Why? Because the nitrous cools the air going into the engine which is very benificial with a supercharger that generates a lot of heat. I doubt the engine would hold more than say a 50 shot along with the supercharger. If you had timing and fuel all perfect it would probably hold, but you're best bet would be to build the engine before attempting this.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

u must consider the pessures your already running. and the extra r's you'll be running on nos. now i dont know much of a 4.7 so ask yourself the likley hood of granading your engine?