Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-04-2002, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

Question Trailer Lighting Question

I did not get the tow package with my 98 Dakota but I will be using it to tow a small trailer. Does anyone know what I need to get as far as trailer wiring goes? I can add a flat four connector easy enough but I thought there was something else that was added when you got the tow package. Thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Inactive User

i think they had a bigger tranny cooler, or maybe an oil cooler. i think my truck has one, but i'm not sure what all it added.

they had an electric brake in mine, and when they uninstalled it, they used a pair of wire clippers. (...whats this wire connector that has everything clipped off of it?!?!...)
Old 01-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

I bought the trailer wiring kit for my 2002 Dakota at U-Haul. It plugged in at the left and right tail light wire harnesses. No cutting of wires. I intend to haul less weight than would require trailer brakes, so wiring was simple. ( By the way, this is my first post on this forum. I hope it works).
Old 01-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

Wink

You can pick up the wiring harness at PepBoys, WalMart, or Target. They usually run about 20.00 or so. Very quick and neat. It even comes with wire ties.

cyclops
Old 01-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

I bought one of those cheap $20 harnesses, and it brought me nothing but trouble (blown reverse light bulbs, blown fuses). I recomend the one at the Dodge parts counter. It cost $50, but it's right. By the way, (after a LOT of debating) the manufacturer of the first harness paid for the time my truck was at the service dept.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Default Towing

I have done a lot of towing (all boats) over the years. Buy a good quality plug-in connector, a frame mounted hitch, and a transmission cooler. A modine cooler can be had for 40-50 bucks and it is a good investment not only for towing but also for saving the tranny on hard runs. An autos worst enemy is heat. I put a cooler on my RT as soon as I got it. Incidentally, it is a great tow vehicle. I tow a 6000 lb boat trailer combo in overdrive at 70 mph with the 3.92's (2300-2400 rpms) on the interstate. If I'm stopped, I take it out of overdrive until I'm back up to highway speed. The only other "as good as" tow vehicle I've had was a '94 Lightning (which I wish I had never sold). Happy & safe towing.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Inactive User

Ron0852 - You post worked fine and was very helpful, thanks!
Old 01-05-2002, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone for the help. I wasn't sure if this was something I could even get from Dodge. I have had the ones they sell at Pep Boys before and my experience has been about 50 / 50. I already have a frame mounted receiver but I think I'll have to pass on the tranny cooler (having a stick and all). Anyway, thanks for all the help!
Old 01-05-2002, 11:10 AM
Inactive User

Had the same problem with the blown fuse, if you use the one's from the auto parts store, on the one I got the blue wire in the harness that attaches to the the truck harness is the backup lights on the truck, but it is the ground wire on the trailer side. I just cut the wire on the truck side and attached it to a good ground and no more problems.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:14 AM
Inactive User

PLEASE buy the Mopar wiring harness and "overlay" relay kit! Your trailer brakes will make mincemeat of those "car-parts store" wiring harnesses, the wires are too thin. Also, the "overlay relay" will keep you from frying the headlight swtich ($$$$). I tow a small travel trailer and got the factory tow pkg.Gotta be the best bargain in the world. BTW, check the main battery and ground connections often.The extra load of elec. brakes tends to accelerate corrsion. Bad ground often means no trailer brakes.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info and advice. I won't be using electric brakes, I am just using the truck to tow less than 3000 lbs.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

my .02 but had to chime in here... I bought the class III/IV hitch from mopar along with the factory harness for my 2000 QC. The hitch was about $239. nice setup with enclosed electrical box and hidden supports (came with rams head rubber receiver plug no less).. better quality that the hidden hitch and U Haul for a few $$ more IMHO, but if U havent already gotten it, I HIGHLY recommend mopars (dealer) wiring. $50 but WORTH IT for the 4 pin flat setup.. Factory harness, FULL loom covered and taped with all adapters. Perfect fit. I wanted long term durability, not a quick wal-mart set up..