Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Inactive User

Default kb sc re boost gauge

what is the best place to put in the boost gauge conextion....btw the kb seems to work well in my 4.7 run it around for a bit today...no leaks...phew....thanks
Old 04-10-2002, 08:00 PM

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you have it up and running with no problems! I have my boost gauge mounted in a pod just under the grab handle. I think it was the only thing not included in the kit. I got mine from my local speed shop for around $15 I think. Looks like factory almost.

Another thing I did just recently, was to move the knock alert sensor up on my dash next to my boost gauge in the corner. I scuffed it lightly with some fine sandpaper, then primed it with some Krylon gray primer, then painted it with some Krylon Black paint. Before you prime and paint, just tape the front with some masking tape. Where KB says to mount it, it's too low to see. And the white color of the box stands out in the cab like a sore thumb. The wire tucks in nicely along the side of the dash and this gets the sensor up where you can see it out the corner of your eye the entire time your driving. Before, when it was mounted down low, I could only see it light up at night, unless I took my eyes off the road and looked down.

The knock alert sensor rarely goes out of the green-yellow section, and I've never had it sense enough knock to retard the timing enough to shut boost down. Honestly, I never even look at it directly anymore since it's not a problem, but I like having the safety feature where I can see it easily, and enjoy having it blend with the rest of the interior better.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

Default ah

thanks for the reply I guess i should have said where to mount the other end to as i already had the pod there for a trans temp gauge just was unsure which line to conect it to...im a dummy when it comes to that stuff...but i guess the line that comes from the evap...or am i wrong...i did stick the knock sensor on top of the dash for the time bieng(great minds think alike lol)still testing but drives very nice will let myself build up to it....
Old 04-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Inactive User

My knock sensor doesnt get out of the yellow much, execpt when im really on it getting on the freeway or something. Sometimes it'll tap red for just a sec right before the shift (yeah, i know, i should have gotten a stick). I need to send my computer off to KB to have them flash it to help some of my auto-tranny problems.

The knock sensor helps in other ways to....
I was driving home on the freeway one night, and the sensor starts going nuts. Now, im only at about 2000 rpm, boost is showing a negitive, and i dont hear anything (not like i could with my mickey thompsons on). So i pull over and pop the hood. There is this really bad grinding sound, kinda like bearings. So i shut the truck off, walk to my gf's work (lucky me for being so close), take her car and go home to get my tools. After using a screw driver like a stethascope (sp), i find out it seems to be the altenator. The nut that holds the pully on came off and the pully was rocking back and forth on the shaft, causing a vibration that the knock sensor picked up and let me know (other wise i couldnt hear it). Anyways, im glad i had that, i guess it was just dumb luck that it picked it up, but im glad it did, saved me throwing that pully around my engine bay at 70 mph.

One quick question, does your guys knock sensors "flash" just one light every once in a while? I want to think that i just have a power cable laying over the sesor wire, and its picking up the surge to cycle the A/C, but im not sure. It happens quite frequently, and it doesnt matter if im accelerating, or just crusing. Any thoughts?

GlenC
Old 04-11-2002, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

Default knock

so far the knock sensor dont light up at all it test ok and taping on the bolt above the alt with a wrench produces the desired results on the gauge , under wot on the highway i saw it briefly flash orange and sometimes the first green light comes on but mostly it stays off...man this thing pull well under moderate thottle its almost scary for a 4000 lbs tuck to act that way i really like it...drives just like a car now...i have the hotckiss susspension kit on but notice the back end go s down under heavey acc so im wondering if the roadmaster kit will help im looking into getting it as they make one for the d now...any one have this and can comment...cant wait to tow the 23 footer see the diff
Old 04-12-2002, 12:19 PM

Cool

I have the roadmaster set-up and love it. My truck is a work truck and is loaded down on a reg. basis.