Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-24-2002, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

wow Odometer Rollback!! HELP HELP

HELP! I bought a LeBaron about 9 months ago from a used car dealer, and tried to trade it in for a Dakota, found through CarFax that my odometer had been rolled back right before I bought it! What am I entitled to legally? I've heard I can get a full refund....
Any information would be great, hopefully I'll be driving my new Dakota CC 4.7 5 spd soon :-)
Old 08-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

If you can prove it you should be able to get ALL your money back. I would possibly speak to the dealer and push for more. Tell him that if he doesn't "satify" your requests, that you will bring in the news and the law and shut his ass down. You should be able to scare something out of him worth your while. I would also contact the previous owner (before the dealer) and get them to confirm what carfax states.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:07 AM
Inactive User

Changing an odometer without informing you there is a possible error is a Federal Offense. If you sign a statement BEFORE you buy a vehicle saying the odometer is in error and KNOW that it's in error is the ONLY "out" a dealer("one whose normal pursuit of business is the selling of motor vechiles for hi-way purposes") has. One letter to the Federal Trade Commision, Automotive Enforcement Div. will get your money back (and possibly more) if the dealer balks. In OK, you get your money back and get to keep the vehicle if you want to! There are some BIG TIME teeth in the law now, thank God. One OK dealer was sent to prision(not the "country-club") for RACKETEERING(RICO statues) because the Govt. established a "pattern of criminal wrong-doing" ...they had done several cars, took the guy's house, car's, boat, money, etc. , and he had to learn how to dance backwards with Bubba! :flip:
Old 08-25-2002, 10:19 AM
Inactive User

Confused

threaten that idiot in the lawfull way and press charges.

thats gotta suck. well you now know what do to before you buy your next car/truck.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Inactive User

from what i had asked of this a while back to the car sales manager at my dealership, he said it happened to him once, he bought a car from an auction and they didnt do any background check on the car, ....if you go to the registry of motor vehicles with your concern, they will back you 100 percent.. where it has been 9 months now i am not sure what they will do about it... but GO TO THE REGISTRY and they can lead you in the direction... it also happened to my sister about 2 months ago, she bought a 99 grand cherokee she confronted the deaeler about it, at first they told her to get lost, so she came back after speaking to her lawyer and then the dealership took the car back, and gave her the 2000 in cash deposit, and gave her an addition 5 grand off on a brand new car....it was a hyndai but still she got a brand new car 7 grand off of dealer wholesale....
Old 08-26-2002, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info! The guy is being nice so far, and says that if it is a rollback, that he'll have to unwind the deal, but he swears that it must be a mistake, and that he has the paperwork to prove it. I'll just have to see if that paperwork shows up today.
Thanks again,
R/Trottmann
Old 08-29-2002, 06:16 AM
Inactive User

you should OWN that dealership
Old 08-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Turns out it was a mistake at the smog shop.... carfax actually showed that my car went from 52,000 to 93,000 miles in 6 months, and I bought it with 57,000. The used-car guy is getting it cleared up with CarFax for me (it's his responsibility) and according to him (insert grain of salt) my carfax will be clean as of today..... we'll see.