Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by salarguy
Hey guys
I did not say" in all cases" I said ON MILD STREET MOTORS. Marty is one of the most respected Magnum motor gurus alive, and says on KRC's web site "We do not do eye candy on the heads, that is polishing all runners or gasket matching intake and exhaust ports. These have done NOTHING but REDUCE efficiency and velocity in the head, and create turbulence where it did not exist before." " keep the ports small to increase our flow numbers" .....
Salarguy
SG, did you read the full text on Marty's site, including where he says he's dissected competitor's work to be able to offer a combo of what he feels are the "best" ideas??

My head porter is one of those he's dissected. He does work for Mondello Racing. If you're not sure who Joe Mondello is, you might want to look him up.

Marty is pretty good with the Magnum motors, but I would hardly take it to "Guru" status. His philosophy on heads is his own, but certainly not universally accepted. To keep the thread on topic, just produce for us a flow chart that shows the low lift flow numbers that he refers to on his page and I'll be happy to post mine. Then you can talk apples to apples. He says not to get too hung up on absolute high lift numbers, then posts only the 265 cfm @25" figure(for the ported 2.02 R/T) without specifying the lift and offering no further info about the curve. A little inconsistent with the info, IMO.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Inactive User

Here we go again

The 265-270 cfm is max lift flow. You'll find that far more important #s are the low lift and mid lift flows, and actual area under the flow curve. You can get a detailed explanation on pages 140-141 in Mopar Magnum engines 2nd edition. Peak #s mean didily unless your cam lobes are square!!!
Salarguy
Old 12-08-2002, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

So let me ask this question. I, by no means have anything close to a stock motor. Was it worth my while to have my 2.02 heads ported and polished and gasket matched? Should I have left my heads alone? Should I have kept mt 1.92's? I do plan on putting on a blower and trying to make 550-600hp out of this mill. I have a race/street motor and yes it is a high revver. Did I do justice to my motor or did I defeat my purpose? 408ci stroker; 4.03" bore, 4" stroke, intake/exhaust ported, M1 intake gasket matched, gasket matched heads, all forged internal parts.

I have been told that opening up the heads adds in low end power and helps the flow and power on the top as well. Is that wrong for my application? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Could someone explain this REVERSION thing??? Anyone can say its bad, but why is it bad?

TJ
Old 12-09-2002, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Here we go again

The 265-270 cfm is max lift flow. You'll find that far more important #s are the low lift and mid lift flows, and actual area under the flow curve. You can get a detailed explanation on pages 140-141 in Mopar Magnum engines 2nd edition. Peak #s mean didily unless your cam lobes are square!!!
Salarguy
SG, re-read my earlier post. You don't have to sell the low lift/area under the curve bit. I'm asking YOU for those numbers. Marty harps on them at his site but doesn't offer any.

Have you got any flow charts or links to some that show his work?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Foster
.... I do plan on putting on a blower and trying to make 550-600hp out of this mill. I have a race/street motor and yes it is a high revver. Did I do justice to my motor or did I defeat my purpose? 408ci stroker; 4.03" bore, 4" stroke, intake/exhaust ported, M1 intake gasket matched, gasket matched heads, all forged internal parts.
Cliff, if that was originally an SLT, that means 44RE tranny and 8 1/4 rear end. Neither of those is suitable for 550 HP. If you don't upgrade it's probably just a matter of time before you break one or both.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by white98club

Cliff, if that was originally an SLT, that means 44RE tranny and 8 1/4 rear end. Neither of those is suitable for 550 HP. If you don't upgrade it's probably just a matter of time before you break one or both.

I did have a Level10 transmission rebuild kit put in it along with a Trans-Go shift kit just for kicks. I'm waiting to find a 9-1/4 rear and stuff it full of goodies. I may just find a wrecked R/T or a Durango and take that rear. I have been informed that the Level10 kit(red or purple clutches) is good up to 550-575hp and as long as I don't start getting any traction in the rear I'm okay. Eventually the whole rear end has got to go. Now the transmission, I have to look into that one a little more. I'm not really that hard on it now anyway. That one tire spin stuff gets old and I really can't race any real fast cars because all I would do is spin the wheel(s). If I had a limited slip rear(8-3/4 or 9-1/4), 4.10's and a little bit better tuning on my computer, I would race a lot of cars and I would win most of them. I think that this thing is good for high 13's or low 14's, but for now my best is 15.7@89mph with a 2.4 sec 60' time.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Cliff Foster, do you still have the R/T heads for sale?
Old 12-10-2002, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

TJ318
You deserve an answer, you've been patient. Moderate reversion is hot---- hogging out exhaust ports on R/T heads to match your headers----not. Extrudehoning is hot---- making your runners look like a mirror---not. I really need to end here 'cause I tried to answer Sheffy the guy with the mild street motor, who wanted butt dyno, and along came King Kong S/C, stroker guys looking for another clone!
Later, Salarguy
Old 12-10-2002, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Well, I still have them, but I have a fella in Indiana that's got his eye on them and he's sending me a check in the mail. Don't have it yet though. I do still have a full set of .20 overbore(4.02) 10:1 pistons/rods from a magnum380 that have rods from the regular stroke crank. when I get the check from the guy in Indiana I'll unpost that the heads are for sale. They are currently going for $450.00 complete(valves,springs,rocker arms) with mild headwork. If I don't get the check by the end of the week I will call him and make sure if he still wants them. If not, they are back on the block.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:26 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
TJ318
You deserve an answer, you've been patient. Moderate reversion is hot---- hogging out exhaust ports on R/T heads to match your headers----not. Extrudehoning is hot---- making your runners look like a mirror---not. I really need to end here 'cause I tried to answer Sheffy the guy with the mild street motor, who wanted butt dyno, and along came King Kong S/C, stroker guys looking for another clone!
Later, Salarguy
SG, you shoulda been a politician. You only seem interested in avoiding the direct questions and there's really no need to get in a huff. Nobody is trying to create clones. Just sorting the fluff talk from the real deal.

I was simply asking for some numbers to support yours and Marty's claims. I've got mine at the ready for comparison.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:30 AM
Inactive User

If Marty and for that matter Hughes are protecting their numbers now.I wouldn't be a very nice person if I announced them. It's obviously a competition issue, combined with some pirating and one upmanship. I only have one set of numbers at my disposal and they wouldn't interest you. They are only meager street port, and may have been improved upon by now. They are three year old #s.
Salarguy
Old 12-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

Cliff Foster, if you don't get the money let me know, I'll take them off of your hands! Thanks!
Old 12-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas974x4
Cliff Foster, if you don't get the money let me know, I'll take them off of your hands! Thanks!

You got it. What about the slugs(pistons)? Did you think about those? How much boost are you running and where did you get your magnecore wires? I have a set now, but it's for when I have to replace them.

My email is fittrainer@msn.com
Old 12-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
If Marty and for that matter Hughes are protecting their numbers now.I wouldn't be a very nice person if I announced them. It's obviously a competition issue, combined with some pirating and one upmanship. I only have one set of numbers at my disposal and they wouldn't interest you. They are only meager street port, and may have been improved upon by now. They are three year old #s.
Salarguy
Protecting their numbers!? Are you kidding me?? So we're down to "my stuff is better, trust me".

ROFL

There is no mysterious Corporate secret to flow numbers and curves. It's what you did to get there that matters and what you might want to conseal. What's a guy gonna do, plagerize your chart? Here's a guy more than willing to show what he can do. I believe Marty is familiar with him:

http://www.thefastman.com/thefastman...e=PortedHeads.

BTW, if you've got flow numbers on R/T heads(the topic at hand) that are 3 years old, you're probably the only one on the planet since they weren't even on the market back then.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Inactive User

Quote:

Barry, fully worked Magnum heads can flow 265-270 cfm on the intakes while a stock set of R/T heads flow somewhere around 225-230 out of the box. Don't know what Marty's heads flow after the simple cleanup, but probably well below that figure.

Hughes used to have flow numbers posted on their site, but they have pulled them down. Delphi forums has some comparison charts in archive if you look for a post from Travis M.

Well I've got to admit I have never seen those #'s from any set of worked stockers as a matter of fact I have seen mildly ported 2.02's that didn't achieve those #'s.. My experience has been 220-230 maxed out the stockers.. Also have observed that the stockers have a tendency to stall at anything much over .500-.512 lift..

Barry
Old 12-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

was just aboput to mention Dan arcand... anyways here is an older folow chart of his work on a stock head

Old 12-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for posting the chart.. That is exceptional #'s for stockers even when taken out to 2.02's.. Would you by chance have any idea what that port job cost?? Not wanting one just curious how much work it took to get there..

Barry
Old 12-10-2002, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Well, I don't want to be left out of the party, so at the risk of having trade secrets "stolen", here are some R/T numbers from the same head porter. Note the low lift numbers and compare them to dodgeboys Magnum numbers. If anyone wants to post competitors numbers, feel free. We might actually learn something.

http://users.rcn.com/bobm.dnai/images/rtheads-chart.jpg
Old 12-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

now those look like more what I'm used to seeing out of R/T heads.. also can tell the diff under the curve..

Barry
Old 12-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

Barry, Dan really doesnt market the heads so you would have to contact him personally on the price

As far as his r/t heads are concerned, I think he is getting even better numbers last time I talked to him, that flow bench graph for the 2.02 heads is from last March.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Well, I don't want to be left out of the party, so at the risk of having trade secrets "stolen", here are some R/T numbers from the same head porter. Note the low lift numbers and compare them to dodgeboys Magnum numbers. If anyone wants to post competitors numbers, feel free. We might actually learn something.

http://users.rcn.com/bobm.dnai/images/rtheads-chart.jpg
Do you have any idea how much porting or what type of work was done ex:intake porting,exhaust porting, bowl blending, etc...? or is this a basic intake porting?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

That is the full compliment; intakes, exhausts and bowl work.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Inactive User

Default Magnum R/T 7140 Heads Wanted

im looking for a set of Magnum R/T Heads to run on our NASCAR modified type car. rules specify the P5007140 with 1.92 and 1.625 valves. no port work is allowed they have to be stock for our division. thought I might get lucky on a forum chat such as this.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

well i found a set brand new we bought. Magnum R/T 7140 heads with a MP P5007381 2 brrl intake that is obsolete for our rules. only took me almost 2yrs to find this package. now ill sell it.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:07 AM

Biggrin

This thread is 15 years old.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Inactive User

yeah thats why i revitalized it and how i even found these parts to begin with. old threads are good