Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Default CEL and trans not shifting(auto)

Truck is a '98 3.9l automatic with 99k miles.

I started it up this morning and it flashed me with the Check Engine Light. I wasn't sure what for so I checked all the basics. Guages were all reading fine, plugs/wires and all visible sensor wires and engine grounds were intact. So I went on my way and immediately noticed that it wasn't using at least first gear and later noticed no second gear. It was using only 3rd gear no matter what driving situation (no overdrive either). I know about the overdrive not engageing when it's cold but I drove over 30 miles and it never shifted into O/D and would only go into second if selected manually (first still wouldn't engage).

I've shut the truck off and restarted a few times to make short trips and it's still doing this and the CEL is still on.

I checked the trans fluid when I got home and it was full, but did seem a little thin. Could this cause any problems with innadequate line pressure or sealing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Marc M
Old 02-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Inactive User

Look at the post "44RE tranny trouble". I think your pressure sensor has quit. Change out the sensor/solinoid, fresh fuild and filter, and (hopefully) you should be good to go.