Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation This can't be good...

I normally get about 15-16 MPG average out of my truck but the last few tanks of gas I've been getting like 14, and today just driving to school to work and home again I used nearly half a tank, about 11 MPG. I don't get it the truck is running fine, full fluids, no leaks heck I haven't even had any knock pulling hills. The only thing is that the tranny has felt like it's shifting a little loose, but I don't think that's enough to cause this bad a drop. I can't see anything wrong visually, I guess I'm going to have to have it checked, I cant afford milage like this, gas is $2.15 for regular here in San Diego. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like bad(exspensive)gas. Gasoline has a definite "storage life". It forms gums and varnish when exposed to air, even in storage. Economy goes to hell-in-a-handbasket on old gas. The speculators have been buying and storing gasoline for three months, withholding it from the market to drive the prices up. (Source -American Petroleum Institute newsletter) The storage facilities in the US are at near capacity while the retail supply is way down. After 2 months, unleaded gas is crap. The other possiblility and likely thing is the gas has had water added. Oil and water DO mix. Fresh unleaded gasoline will absorb about 9% water at normal tempetures. If you have a 5000gal. storage tank at your station, you can "top it off" with over 400 gallons of water(which costs alot less than gas!) At 2.15 a gallon, adding water means over 18 cents a gallon extra profit. Nah, no-body would do THAT!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

Great this finally gives me the excuse I need for kicking the ass of the guy behind the counter at the gas station... LOL
Old 03-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

We're at about $1.48 a gallon and know we're getting the big-one up the butt, but $2+ is a crime. Crude oil prices DROPPED when the war started. I'd love to squeeze the heads off those pencil-neck speculators. They're just proving if you've got enough money, you can make alot more, just 'cause you have a lot of money! At the current crude-oil prices($28 a barrel) gas SHOULD be about $1.15-1.50 depending on the state tax. The gasoline is still coming up from Mexico for about .80 a gallon wholesale(up a whole .03!) Besides, the gas has been contracted for(paid for) for 6-18 months anyway.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

GET A ROPE! Lets find out where the SOB's live.

Quote:
Originally posted by Walkercolt
We're at about $1.48 a gallon and know we're getting the big-one up the butt, but $2+ is a crime. Crude oil prices DROPPED when the war started. I'd love to squeeze the heads off those pencil-neck speculators. They're just proving if you've got enough money, you can make alot more, just 'cause you have a lot of money! At the current crude-oil prices($28 a barrel) gas SHOULD be about $1.15-1.50 depending on the state tax. The gasoline is still coming up from Mexico for about .80 a gallon wholesale(up a whole .03!) Besides, the gas has been contracted for(paid for) for 6-18 months anyway.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Question

This is realy wierd, this morning when I got in my truck to goto work, they were talking about this exact same topic, gas here being $2.15-$2.25 and gas in OK being only $1.40. I wonder if the morning show guy frequents the boards?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

7-11 you aren't employed at a "TEE-VEE" station are you??? I've worked at a tiny cable company and for a couple of cable "sales-shows" as chief-cook-bottle-washer/engineer/producer/director/audio-video technician/ cameraman-lighting technician/broadcast enigineer/ micro-wave link repairman/go-fer and designated tree-remover when it grew into the micro-wave-link path! I can tell some war-stories about the MW-link...1 1/2 mile shoot, 3-4" horizontal movement would move it "off-target" completely. +/- 1" for the "fat-part" of the beam...The Air Farce trained me for this????
Old 03-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Inactive User

No 'fraid not. But hey it sounds like a good career move