Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

Default My future 408

Well I am ready to make the switch from my 318 to a 408 stroker. I have purchased a used 360 short block. Here is my list of items so far:

Mopar cast crank
CAT H-beam rods
Diamond dished forged pistons (about 10:1 compression)
Federal Mogul bearings
Total Seal piston rings
ARP head and main cap studs

The other items I am still working on, but need to pay off these items first.

Let me know what you think.

L8r,
Old 06-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Inactive User

Are you planning to run juice? If so, I would shell out a little extra for the forged crank (can't remember the P/N off the top of my head).
What cam & heads are you planning on running?
-Spaz
Old 06-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

Vince, I was dog-lazy and let Hughes do all the hard work on my 390 stroker. I've got Diamond forged pistons and Eagle H-beam rods(overkill) file-fit moly rings, FM bearings. Went with ARP main bearing studs (2-3 times stronger than bolts). You'll need to torque-plate hone the bores with diamond stones of the "grit" your ring maker specs. The "cast" crank will handle 600HP+ and 7000 RPM as long as you give it oil. I used a Federal-Mogul hi-volume oil-pump. Get some good timing gears and a true double roller chain. Unless it's required for racing, you don't really need a Fluidampner harmonic balancer. I went with a better than stock elastomer unit, but no big bucks. WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined building engines is harmful to your wallet!
Old 06-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, I plan on running some juice. The cast crank should stand up to it fine because I am not going to go crazy with it. Thanks for the tips Walkercolt. The machine shop is going to use torque plates so it will be fine. I have given them the information on the rings.

The heads I am going to use will be a set of ported ones from Hughes. The cam will be from Hughes also, but have not decided yet.

L8r,
Old 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Inactive User

If you've got the bucks, the Hughes ported R/T heads would be killer on a street motor. With a 408 and ported R/T heads(and the right cam) a 2 bbl M-1 with a turtle would start to make sense. You'd have a big enough "signal" with the big motor to make the M-1 work good. I still want a really good dual-plane for us towing guys. I'm running a ported "hornet's nest", and I think it's a little too restrictive. BTW, a "StageIII" modded TB will work great on a big motor. If you go to R/T heads, then a special "StageIV" TB will start working. IMHO, the guys at Hughes can get more out of a SB street motor than anybody. Racing, maybe some other people have the edge. I don't think anyone grinds a better "smog legal" cam than Hughes.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

I plan on the Hughes ported R/T heads and a cam from them. Not sure yet on the cam yet. I also will be getting a M1 2bbl and a big throttle body. Just tore the engine apart and need to load it up so I can send it to the machine shop. Got all the bottom end parts sitting and waiting.

L8r,
Old 06-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

Vince, if you tell Dale at Hughes what you're REALLY gonna do with your truck(ie: 90% street a few trips to the track) he can give you usually three choices; normal, lumpy and mostly race. If you run an M-1 find a supplier for a "turtle" to keep the port velocity up. The bigger the cam, the smaller the turtle needed, because you're gonna lose bottom-end with a big cam anyway, and the turtle can't help that.(make sense?) Ported R/T heads can really open up a big inch stroker. Doing all the right things, 600HP isn't out of the question on a street engine, no nitrous, no puffer. Aim for 400, it should almost be as docile as a stock engine, and still scare you. My engine is more better than stock! Idles smoother, I think it's getting better gas mileage(at least 10-15%) accelerates much better, it just "feels" better. The sound thru the Borla exhaust is wonderful too. Deep and mellow, not raspy or harsh at all.(Thanks again Solar R/T!)