Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Automatic transmission problem ???

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

Recently had the transmission rebuilt in my '97 dually. When driving at anything under 55 mph the thing will downshift from O/D to drive and at speeds closer to 45 when it downshifts to drive it also feels like the converter unlocks. When driving in town at about 35 it feels like the converter unlocks after it shifts to drive and sometimes it will down shift to 2nd. When driving in stop and go traffic when in town sometimes it shifts too fast and feels like when driving a stick and you try to take off in too high of a gear and I have to manually down shift it.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I also had an engine oil leak in the front. The timing cover was broken. Right after repairing the cover I learned about the "Dowel pin of death" on the TV show Trucks. I'm wondering if the sensor on the front cover that triggers off of the balancer (I assume this is the Engine Speed Sensor) didn't get set correctly???

Thanks for any help you can give me. I took it back to the transmission shop and all they said was everything was OK.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Sounds more like the the governor/line pressure is improperly setup, in the transmission.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 PM

First things to check are the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the brakelight switch. If either is malfunctioning it will cause those symptoms.

Also, in the diesel trucks there are reports of spurious electrical signals causing that problem, the fix involves wrapping a certain wire with foil tape to prevent feedback. Don't remember the exact details.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Tsb

There is a TSB for that symptom in the '99 model year. Might apply to your truck. Dealer can do the fix, it's a module upgrade program.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

My tranny is not shifting itself at all.

Oh, yeah, mine is a 5-speed. Sorry, had to say that one. Hope you find the fix.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM

flash upgrade is for 24valve. not 12 valve.check your kick down cable adjustment. if it is set too loose it will cause early up shifts. sometimes now downshifts. also most 12valve wont down shift from 55mph up depending on rear axle ratio.the torque converter should lock up in 3rd and may unlock on a 3-4 upshit and relock in 4th(od).i have ssen some going into 4th(od as low as 35mph with 4.10s.on light throtle. also i have seen the crank sensor drop signal too. it will cause no overdrive lock up cruise and no charging system. hope this helps