Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes vapor from breather tube

I recently bought a 2005 cummingd turbo diesel 2500, motor had been rebuilt. Dealer had changed oil after 50 miles to flush engine then drove an another 300+ miles. I put an another 600 on it an changed the oil using syn.oil, thats when the vapor started. I have since replaced the oil with Shell. Everyone I have talked to tells me I put the syn. oil in to soon, that I have ring blowby just go ahead an drive it. Oil press good, no oil in water and no water in the oil milage around 20, plenty of power. Trans a little flakey when starting of from standstill,(upshift downshift, upshift once rolling seems fine. Anyone have any thoughts? This is myfirst post so hello everyone in mopar land. thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

Default Clessie Cummins

Did not put a "G" in his last name. It's CUMMINS.
Now, Cummins engines take many many miles to break in the cylinder wall/ring seal. That's because the blocks are of superior iron alloy content. You should break in a Cummins by towing or hauling heavy loads up long grades at highway speeds, often and regularly.
Cummins are not ready for synthetic lube untill 20-30 thousand miles.
Your tranny shifting issues are not normal. There is a TSB for that hunting activity in the tranny. Not a big deal, but it must be attended to. That hunting could hurt the torque converter and bands. Get yourself a lockup controller fom ATS, on the internet. Their products are excellent. What you are feeling is the lock/unlock of the converter when throttle changes occur
Congrats on the purchase. My 11 year old Cummins quad cab is the best thing I ever had in a truck!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

I'm not a diesel tech but have heard from a few NOT to run syn oil I run rotella and no problems as far as I can tell the cummins is not known for any sort of oiling issues so why spend the extra cash for syn oil has been my thinking. As for the trans I'm glad mine has the six speed
Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 AM

Biggrin

Why did a 5 year old diesel need rebuilding? Those engines can go to the moon and back before a rebuild is needed.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info peg leg. Sorry about mispelling Cummins. I see you are in Idaho. I plan on leaving for Geneva thel last of April to spend the summer working on a ranch(do it every year). Will check on ATS controller and install. The run out West should help and also will be pulling a horse and a hay trailer. thanks again, lameduck
Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

Dick, Motor rebuild is a long story! but dealer took truck in on trade after they did a test drive they found a vibration in it, they replaced the harmonic balancer. I bought the truck and could feel a vibration in it, got out of the truck went underneath and found bad rear u-joint. Now we know!!! Dealer screwup!!!! Thanks for the post, lameduck
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

trailraptor07, Thanks for the info on the oil. I had talked with a diesel mech. in Md. last week and he also said Shell was what he uses on all the big rigs that he serviced and had no problems with it. Thanks, lameduck
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Always

Hope to help anyone. As far as oil choices go, it matters not what engine builder you are running, synthetic oil is nothing but a life extender. You have to look at what synthetics offer in improvement.
They run cooler, lubricate far better in cold startups, cold climates , lube better in hot climates, do not break down from heat, do not deposit ash from crude stock, and last longer.
I run Redline synthetic, which is the prefered choice of many racers. Using the Fleetline filters from Cummins is also a best choice.
Just take care of it, and that Cummins will give you more satisfaction than you have ever had with a vehicle.