Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

Angry Dead Pedal

I have a 2002 2500 Ram 5.9l diesel that suddunly loses power when driveing down the road. I have had some tranny work done cause I thouht that was the problem but I still have the trouble. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

Default My experience

Was similar. After complete warmup, stop engine for a potty break, restart. Dead pedal for maybe two minutes.
The cause was the injector pump, which was damaged by low fuel flow/pressure from the lift pump.
I suggest you put a fuel pressure gauge on the truck, and observe the pressure under hard acceleration. You will probably see as low as zero PSI. (Dodge service says no lower than 11 PSI is acceptable.)
If so, you have damaged your IP, and the lift pump is junk.
The IP is around $1300-1500, the Raptor lift is $500.
If you have a savy Cummins service company/Dodge dealer, they can determine the problem, too. You'll need the gauge anyway, for future protection, so I suggest getting the gauge.
Replace the lift pump with a Raptor pump, and you should have no future IP issues.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Inactive User

By "dead pedal" do you mean the engine just wants to Idle regardless of where the pedal is? '02 still used the old style engine mounted APPS when they take a dump the engine will have no throttle at all engine will just idle. Usually with an pump issue you'll get a loss of power, surge, die out/cut-out, hard start, no start etc. But I have had some that acted weird when the pumps were bad.....Ive honestly worked on so many of them I cant remember them all and what all they did.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Inactive User

Default Apps

We tried a new APPS when troubleshooting my problem. It made it worse, so we put on an IP and a stock replacement lifter pump. Solved the issue.
I do not trust the rplacement pifts, so I now have a Raptor pump, which sees no appreciable fuel pressure loss, even towing 6000 pounds on 6% grades.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

You can cycle the key three times ending with it on. The odo window should show the codes. I bet it has 0216 and others.
Most commonly this is a failed VP-44 injection pump. Timing issues. time to replace it if the diagnosis is right. And Never drive one without a fuel pressure gauge!!! They will run, down on power, and not lube the pump correctly. This is a design fault.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM

your dead pedal sounds like the apps. have done quite a few here at the dealer.a bad injection pump normal gives you lack of power of white smoke and sometimes surging or no starts. a lift pump will also cause most of the same systems as a injection pump.