Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Starting problems getting worse.

My 03 Ram Cummins 5.9 was having problems starting when warm. Let sit it would then start. Now it is unable to start at all. (Like it is out of fuel) But if I hit it with starting spray it fires then runs fine until turned off.

All suggestions welcome.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 PM

Either pump or injectors. I don't have much experience with Cummins. But with VIN 1 Duramax's when this happens it's injectors that are leaking.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Inactive User

Default There should be

A sticker on your air box warning not to ever use starting fluid on your Cummins. You will eventually blow the head gasket or worse.
It sounds like your supply pump is toast, and may have hurt your injector pump as well.
Take it to a Cummins repair shop, or a dealer with a reputation for good Cummins work.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 AM

OK. Got the truck started (without the use of starting fluid) As per the symptoms I waited until night time and cooler temps. Charged the batts and the Cummins popped off. (no pun intended!) If one was to use a carburetor analogy it's if the choke is stuck and thus not getting enough air upon warm starts. The truck is going in for that steering recall, so I will be explaining the problem. I wish I had a handle of the starting sequence. The injectors were replace (while under warranty) 2 years ago due to just the opposite. Not able to start or vary hard starting in cold weather.

As of today I’m not too impressed with the Dodge Ram with the Cummins. (At least here in Minnesota.) I had a 1986 Ford with an International diesel that had the same starting issues. My experience is diesels are great when running. Starting is still a bitch. And for the record the truck has 64,000 miles.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Default Cummins

Are about as bullet proof as an engine can get.
Without proper maintenance, they give what they receive.
It appears your truck was run with a bad lift pump, which hurt the injector pump. There are fuel pressure gauges that could have prevented that. It is fool hardy to run any diesel without one.
Your dealer should be able to diagnose the issue you have. Since 75% of Ram truck sales are with the Cummins, there must certainly not be an issue with Cummins reliability. Once repaired, you can count on having the best cold and hot starting engine in a pickup.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 AM

I agree about the fuel pressure gage. Should be standard. However I know the trucks computer is monitoring and is suppose to warn of fuel pressure drop. We will see what the dealership says. Someone from Idaho should know that I don't care how great your diesel is at -20+ they don't like to start. In fact at that temps I don't even try if not plugged into an electrical source. However my old gas truck would start.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

Default Not at all

My truck has always started in sub zero, unplugged. Five years in Montana, no issues. Now the 3208 Cats and power chokes had cold start issues. My Cummins and those of many friends never had a problem. If you cycle the intake heater twice at -20, no problem. Ran rough for a few minutes, but always started.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Well after checking fuel and air to the motor the starting problems continued. I finally used up the last of the diesel and filled up again. (Keeping the truck running) The truck now starts fine. I know diesel like gas you can get a bad batch, but I never seen as specific of symptom as this. When the truck was running it ran fine even towed well. Just would not start if warm. Once the fuel was changed the starting problem ceased.

Just an F.Y.I.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Great

Amazing to find such rotten fuel, but great!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:20 PM

That's one of the reason I only fill up at stations that have a high turn over of diesel fuel. If they don't have high flow pumps, the fuel tends to be months old, before they have to refill the storage tank. If they have high flow pumps, then they tend to get construction equipment, tractors, fire trucks, etc that run thru the fuel and the storage tank is refilled every couple of weeks.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
That's one of the reason I only fill up at stations that have a high turn over of diesel fuel. If they don't have high flow pumps, the fuel tends to be months old, before they have to refill the storage tank. If they have high flow pumps, then they tend to get construction equipment, tractors, fire trucks, etc that run thru the fuel and the storage tank is refilled every couple of weeks.
go to the truck stops to get your fuel!!