Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Inactive User

Default 1999 Ram no start.

Hello all, looking for some input. I don't do much work on diesels. A buddy had his 99 Ram 2500, 4X4, 5spd. Cummins Turbo towed in today, no start, had been working fine, no problems or complaints.

Drove it to work yesterday, shut it off, started it at noon,moved it across the parking lot, shut it off. Quiting time, no start, has not started since.

Shows trouble code P1688 Internal Fuel Injection Pump Failure.

Is that as serious as it sounds? Thoughts? input?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

Default Very serious

He has become a victim of the infamous lift pump failure syndrome. His block mounted fuel pump (Lift pump) has failed to deliver sufficient flow to the injector pump. When this happens, after many miles, the injector pump fails from lack of fuel flow for cooling. If he's lucky, the code is for lift pump failure only.
He may have to replace the injector pump, at around $1600.00 American. He must also install the retrofit in-tank fuel lift pump ($500.00) to prevent future identical failures. Chrysler introduced the in-tank unit to resolve the high failure rate of the block mounted units.
The only thing that can be done to prevent further IP failure is to install a fuel pressure gauge. This will show potential IP failure due to low pressure, relating to low flow. It's unfortunate, but the Cummins should never have been sold without the gauge. No diesel should.
It is also important to add a sulphur replacement to the fuel. Todays fuel is 15 PPM of sulphur. The '99's were built when the content was 500 PPM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, I was afraid that was the problem. I've read your previous posts on this subject Pegleg and thought of you when I was looking at the truck.

The local Cummins "nut" says exactly the same thing.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

Default It's a shame

That engine will go a million miles without serious failure, but the Fuel supply is sure no prize! Got to gauge them.