Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Default grid heater delete?

been looking at the grid heater delete, and was wondering if i could just unplug it?? or do i need to get one of the plates to get any benefit from it??
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Why remove it? That helps with cold starts.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

The grid is a restriction, thats why you need to remove it. Unplugging it isnt going to gain anything except rough running and a smoke machine when it is colder out.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM

And the air filter and charged air cooler are restrictions too. Better get rid of them too. At 30+ lbs of boost I wouldn't be worried about.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Inactive User

Default Tongue in cheek

JV, you crack me up!
To disable the heaters, just unlpug the solenoids coils that powers them.
As mentioned above you must delight in thick white exhaust smoke and poor cold starts, plus all that raw fuel destroying your rings.
Yeah, those nasty heaters must cost at least a half horsepower!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 PM

when its 95 degrees outside i don't think i need a grid heater, what it is saying is the grid heater is heating all that nice cool air that just came out the intercooler right as it goes into the engine, and we all know that heating air isn't good for an engine, plus i was thinking about unplugging it during the summer and plugging it back in around mid december when it starts gettin cold, instead of geting the actual heater delete from banks which i would have to replace the whole piece come winter to have my grid heater back
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Why even unplug it? The computer only commands it on when it needs too. It isn't on all the time.

Just like a glow plug controller on other diesels. The glow plugs only are used as long as it's deemed necessary.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 PM

then the 80 dollar heater deletes that banks sells is just a waste of money?? glad i didn' buy one, but that high-ram elbow seems nice that they have anybody have any experience with them??
them grid heaters seem like they can be kinda restrictive
pic
Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Inactive User

Default With

All the humility I can muster, I suggest that you hang out with some mature and experienced Cummins guys before destroying a fine engine. You seem bent on throwing all sorts of crap (Banks) at your truck without any regard for common sense. Learn about your engine, it's NOT a gasser, it's a fine Swiss watch. That delightful black smoke you seem to crave is not good for rings, fuel mileage nor public acceptance.
Sorry, but you need to hear all this. If you have cubic money, spend it on a Roth IRA!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Disabling the heater gains nothing. The banks kit is to fool the computer, to make it think the heater grid is still there after you have removed it. If you never start or run the engine at temps below 60, then you never use the grid. I do believe that mid winter, Mississippi gets below 60.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 AM

It snowed in Texas the last few years. And temps in the morning are in the 30's-40's. They had pipes freezing in Alabama.

So temps in the south get below 60.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
I do believe that mid winter, Mississippi gets below 60.
yeah around mid december it starts cooling off, we have freaky winters here, one day it may be 80 the next it may be 20....
not doing the heater delete it was just something i saw and was asking about it,

and how come you say banks is crap?? i thought banks was the big name in turbo diesels?? that's all you ever hear them duramax and alot of cummins guys raving bout
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg leg View Post
All the humility I can muster, I suggest that you hang out with some mature and experienced Cummins guys before destroying a fine engine. You seem bent on throwing all sorts of crap (Banks) at your truck without any regard for common sense. Learn about your engine, it's NOT a gasser, it's a fine Swiss watch. That delightful black smoke you seem to crave is not good for rings, fuel mileage nor public acceptance.
Sorry, but you need to hear all this. If you have cubic money, spend it on a Roth IRA!
how does the black smoke hurt anything if i'm taking off the cat so that smoke is already coming out the engine but the cat is stopping and the only reasson for more smoke is becausre i removed the cat??? them publics don't like it they can go hug a tree!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM

As I stated in the other thread, the cat has nothing to do with the black smoke. The black smoke is soot. The cat only helps with unburnt hydrocarbons. The DPF (introduced with the 6.1) is what helps to control the soot. ULSD also helps to prevent soot.

He's pointing out that in your environment, disabling or removing the heater grid will destroy your engine.

Not all banks stuff is crap, but most high performance diesels don't run banks. Banks was just the first performance company on the scene. Many have shown up since then. Several of them have parts that are superior to banks. In the end, you have to know what you are wanting and who makes what.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM

he was saying the black smoke would destroy my engine, and i don't see why not having the grid heater would make more smoke once it is warm and the grid heater is off anyway, they are just mainly for cold starts but in warm weather and once the engine is warmed up the gird heater isn't doiing anything it's just sitting there chilling...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM

You clearly are not understanding. Anything that you do that creates more black smoke is causing damage to the engine.

Running it too rich causes black smoke. Running it too rich washes down the cylinder walls and creases friction on the rings. The extra fuel on the walls also makes it into the crankcase and breaks down the oil.

No heater grid (in temps below 60) causes poor/incomplete burn of the fuel. This becomes the same thing as running too rich.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM

ok i got cha now, i don't want the black smoke so much i was just saying it would be a bonus if it did, how come you diesels all the time that dump the smoke out?? are they tearing up?? not trying to be a smartass here, just trying to find stuff out... removing the grid heater is kinda pointless i guess but i wasn't planning on running a delete plate in cold weather anyway, but from around mid april to about mid november it's typically well above 60 degrees we even have days in december and january where it's in the high 70s-80s, but i am not going to run a heater delete if that will help yall feel all nice and warm inside lol, ok that was kinda being a smartass but i'm just joking guys... but pegleg was saying removing my cat would destroy my engine by making more black smoke then you said that removing the cat wouldn't do that in the other thread...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Removing the heater plate for the summer and reinstalling for winter is a real pain in the butt. Especially when you consider what little gain you will get. Also consider that removal of the plate will void your warranty (you asked about that in another thread).

Peg thought you had a DPF. As I stated, your truck does not have a DPF. Instead, it has a warranty that you will void (again, you asked about that in another thread).
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM

i was just wondering about what they did and all plus 2 years from now when the warranty is up i may end up doing a little more to the truck...
Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

Black smoke is charred, unburned, wasted fuel period, yes, it looks cool when these guys mash the throttle and they make 9 miles of traffic disappear with a black cloud, BUT what if all that fuel actually got burnt instead of wasted ......Hmmm, interesting, so they spend money on intercooler kits, dual turbo set-ups, cold air intakes etc. and it still does it....Why you ask, because there is only so much air you squeeze into a 4 inch hole at 1 time. Now, Im not saying dont crank your truck up, your just wasting your money all Im saying is spend your money wisely......Good a good exhaust system, good air intake system, and a decent box and grow from there.

Overfueling, will lead to higher cylinder temps which in turn leads to scortched pistons, and bbq'd turbo's.....there is a give and take in everything, its a matter of finding that happy medium.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

First thing I would get is an egt gauge and a boost gauge.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM

The Edge with attitude or CTS has both of those.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 AM

how ya hook that up?? and where?? i can get a boost gauge at the parts house from my buddy on discount, i thought about getting one, what can i use for an egt gauge?? where can i hook that up??? would i have to weld a fitting on my exhaust?