Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Unhappy Bad Alcohol FC Accident in New Jersey

http://www.nj.com/motorsports/index....eway_park.html
Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Was there. Was there for Scott Kalitta two years ago. Been going to the Summer NAtionals since early 70's (was the Spring Nationals back then) and have raced the track. After Scott, they made "improvements" by putting up a water barrier in front of the wall at the end and this shows that that doesn't work either. Englishtown is the 4th shortest track on the circuit and with all the encroachment there aren't many options of making it longer so it is what it is. Once again the war will start with the people who bought houses/condos next to the track, built AFTER the track was there, screaming to shut the place down , now adding "its dangerous" to the "Its Noisy" arguments, and once again things will move on. The only beef I have is that when Scott died, they stopped for the day and eliminated a round of qualifying. I feel Neal deserved the same.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 AM

Some feel Sportsman racing should be shortened to 1000 ft. And with all the 1/8th mile racing in the "Tuner" world some are listening. It's been a 1/4-mile since the beginning. Speed is increasing. In the 80s a 10 second car was fast. Now it's the norm. I don't think I would miss the last 320' too much. I think it should be a track decision. Here in Minnesota, Brainerd is our track and the length is very long with a 200 mile an hour corner, which is made even by top fuel dragsters who had full chute failure.

Maybe Englishtown and other shorter tracks should go 1000 ft for all. And everyone go 1320 (Including pro nitro) on the big tracks. It would be interesting and challenging for the tuners. And may very well be an equalizer where some teams qualify better at 1000 and others at 1320.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM

The fact that jet airplanes stop on an aircraft carrier deck from around 140-150 mph to a dead stop in a bit over a second means the technology exists to make it "safe". The problem I have is that at Englishtown, the township (Oldbridge,NJ) zoned in condos and housing over the years right at the borders of Englishtown and now there is no room for expansion. Cars are only gonna get faster and tracks need to be aware. Either Technology needs to improve to stop the cars (like a landing hook on a carrier) or you need to slow the cars down on the short tracks. I'd hate to see "restrictor plates" on a nitro car.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM

Is there any movement on reducing engine size to 413? Last I heard they (NHRA) wanted some testing but have not heard any results. I did hear results on air restrictor and fuel volume restriction testing. I believe air inlet reduction showed about 4-6 MPH reduction at 1000 ft. Where (as predicted) fuel volume reduction showed little to no difference. The 85gal/hour was always adequate thus the 105 was never a "must"
Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Even at 413cu and 1000 ft runs its just a matter of time before the track is too short again. whats needed is another/safer way of stopping runaways. People are moaning the Nitro got the new radio controlled chutes at the finish line but Alcohol didn't. Wouldn't have helped here, chutes deployed but ripped off the car and the transmitters are on the track should someone want to add the recievers to their cars. Again the issue at Englishtown is the shutdown is too short and there aint no room to make it bigger so some other "emergency brake" situation is gonna have to come along. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 AM

I'm not sure what can be done. Using outside technology to ether accelerate or retard a cars performance is prohibited. The car must function fully and independent. If not why not just run on rails. One option that some of the drivers have mentioned is not have events at these tracks. If it's just too dangerous its too dangerous. Other motor sports have been successful in reducing performance. I believe that is where the answer will be found.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 AM

There's a lot of tracks that Nascar no longer races at, NHRA should do the same. The performance has outgrown some facilities, apparently that's the case in Englishtown.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

man,do you know how much history has happened at Englishtown! How many world records have been made at that track!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty duster View Post
man,do you know how much history has happened at Englishtown! How many world records have been made at that track!

No different than Nascar closing North Wilkesboro, or stopping racing at the dirt tracks completely and in those cases it was just a business decision. I respect history as much as anyone here, but when people start getting killed, the hard decisions have to be made. If they can't make the shutdown area safe, there's really no other choice, when you get right down to it. Shutting Englishtown would be sad, but nowhere near as sad as another funeral.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Would hate to see Englishtown go. Its close, it has history both for the sport and for myself, but I agree with Stoga. HAving the record for killing the most drivers is not one to be proud of.

Growing up in the Somerville, NJ area we had Flemington Speedway (1/2 mile dirt oval) in Flemington (that was a pioneer in the SAFER Barrier) which was closed in 2002. Used to watch the dirt Races in turn 3 Saturday night then go to Englishtown on Sundays to "get it out of the system". While Flemington closed down cause the owners paved it and everyone left, the world continued.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM

as a driver, when we strap in we know the risk at hand,thats part of it.geuss we need to close the public roads also
Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 AM

NHRA full throttle tour is not the only game in town. There are thousands of small tracks that do just fine without the Pros. In fact because of shows like Pinks and Past Time sportsman racing is getting more popular. Its funny how the Southern Nascar boys are "suddenly" interested Drag Racing. For me there is no better show. Circle track and Pro Racing all the cars pretty much look the same. At our larger Drag Race events for sportsman racing brings out a lot of strange builds and strange looking vehicles run down the track.

I have chosen the 10.5 Outlaw class for my Cuda build. This is one of the last true heads up, garage built classes left. Many different roads to 7 seconds in a 3000+ lbs VIN numbered car. It's the 10.5 inch tire that is the real equalizer. And I would be honored to run at Englishtown among other historic smaller tracks Like Beech Bend KY (Way too many others to list.) What an early retirement dream to do a sportsman circuit to these small tracks.

oops. must be getting late. I'm having my Drag Race fantacy.