Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 AM

Default switch from m1 methanol to m5?

thinkin bout swapping to vp m5 methanol in my dads' cuda, currently runs on the m1 methanol, running a 360 magnum, with iron r/t heads, .530 lift hyd roller cam, stock stroke mp forged crank, srp pistons, mp forged ibeam rods, 13:1 compression was running 10.5s on the motor with alot of blowby, looked at the heads and it didn't have valveseals installed, just had an o-ring on each valvestem, and really weak valvesprings, pressure tested the springs and they were about equivelent to stock, don't know if they got weak or if they were running stock, or not much over stock springs... we re-ringed the engine, gonna rebuild the carb, installed valveseals, new springs, gonna put on some wider tires to put more rubber on the ground, so it should pick up a little time... and thinking about running the m5 for the increase in power and the lesser fumes, what kind of timing/jet changes should be done to run the m5 if any?? jet up or down?? retard or advance on timing? what kind of et should be picked up with the new springs, new rings, and valve seals?? what should be expected with that plus the switch to m5??

also thinking about throwing my nos sniper kit on it, what would be some jetting reccomendations for around a 75hp-100 hp shot?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

Man, that's a lot of questions.. Trouble is, you need to give good info, to get good info back. Regarding the valvesprings, how high you were reving the engine, is going to determine how much you can actually pick up with decent valvesprings. Since you didn't give any info other than lift on the cam, I'd assume it ought to be going towards 7K for rpm, if so, they can make a good bit of difference.

When you mentioned running 10.5's, I assume that in the 8th?
Without boost, I'd doubt you will see much of a power increase going from M-1 to M-5. It won't be anything like going from 93 octane to 110.