Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Default has anyone ever heard of....

Has anyone ever heard of a bearing setup that replaces the front upper control arm bushings? I heard that there were some SS guys running a setup like this to help get the front end to rise quicker during launch.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Big Tuna

Cry

Yes, those are the Del-West bushings. I have talked to them, they don't do Mopar.

It's my understanding that a set for a GM is almost $800.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Banned

Stock car products and speedway motors had whatt you need. Two different type solid aluminum with a bushing and grease fitting and mono balls. You measure the outside diameter of the stock bushing and order that way. They are race car pieces and are not for any specific make just by size and are around 30 to 40 bucks a piece I think. Dont have my books handy right now.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Inactive User

Nick Wilson at Compu-Flow Performance, 330-725-7591 is making these up for Mopars, using trapped needle bearing and Torington thrust bearings.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Inactive User

Nick built my motor. He is the one that told me about them. I wanted to know if anyone has used them or not.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Banned

Use them all the time. Great stuff. We build ovals though. Less friction,no deflection on hard cornering and braking. I like the mono ball type best but they have no grease fitting like the solid aluminum bushing with steel sleeve does.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

If these upper control arm bushings are solid aluminum with a steel sleeve, how do you adjust the front end alignment without binding up the bushings/bolts?
Old 05-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Banned

The steel sleeve is inside the block of aluminum surrounded by grease. This will spin inside and prevent the bolt from chewing up the aluminum.

A bodies and such have two eccentric bolts that are on the out side of the sub frame mount and never touch the bushing. On the F body types the bushings are at the far out ends of the A arm and it has bolts through the A arm shaft for adjust ment sort of like a chebby except the bolts ride in slots and need no shims.

There is no way ro cause bearing bind due to front end alignment.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Inactive User

dwc43:

I am aware of the configuration of the Mopar front suspension. But when you say "There is no way to cause bearing bind due to front end alignment" it appears that you're not realizing what is happening when you adjust the eccentric bolts. When you adjust (rotate) those eccentric bolts, you are moving one or both of the pivots up or down and/or right or left. This then will cause a misalignment with the bolt on the other side of that control arm. I'm not familiar with these bushings as I've said, but from the description it sounds like they act like a solid shaft so this misalignment of the eccentric bolts (meaning that they're not pointing exactly at each other) will cause binding or bending someplace. That's one of the reasons that the factory uses rubber bushings in this location. So unless I'm missing something here (and I don't think I am because I've looked at doing this on my '71 Challenger race car), it would seem that a rod end type bearing would be much more suitable for the upper control arm pivot.

Does anyone know if someone makes rod end type bearings for Mopar upper control arms?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Banned

Your wanting a mono ball set up. Both Speedway motrs and Stock Car Products sells these. Thisis a better race piece by far and it's what we run. We can even get the tube A arm with the bushings and shaft already installed, but we run a chebby type A arm mount too on the oval track cars for ease of set up.

Also remember the slack is in the eccentric or it would not lay flat against the frame work when rotated at such odd angles. And the whole purpose of any rubber bushing in factory cars are first there cost,then ride quality,and last durability.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Jack, I got a set of adjustable a arms with rod ends from Bill Riely at bigblockdart.com He is going to have some available for b & e bodies, but I don't know if they are ready yet
Old 05-08-2003, 06:34 PM

Red face Eccentrics

The eccentrics are located in slots. The shaft bolts are located in these slots. The slots only allow horizontal movement and not up and down. The slot also allows a slight misalignment with the frame so that the bolts/shafts will not bind. The shafts are always parallel because they are pressed into the A-arm. Unless the A-arm bends, the shafts/bolts are still in alignment. The upper A-arm floats, so to speak in the upper control arm mount. The eccentric stops keep it in place.