Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Crap Transmissions...

Anyone have a recommendation regarding master rebuild kits for the 46RE tranny?

I love my 'Rango...but...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM

There is a company called Sonnax that makes transmission improvement parts. It's can be bought as a kit and all upgrades can be done to improve the transmission.

So I highly recommend their kit. I've used it on other transmission but I've never done the 46re.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...ct_Code=S22174

And here are the kits

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=A518kits

I used this company before and fair price and fast shipping.

I recommend tearing it down and seeing what all you need before ordering. It'll save time and money cause you may need more than what comes in a master overhaul kit. Like thrust bearings, bushings, etc.

When it comes to these transmissions I believe maintenance is the KEY to longevity. I have a A-500 that has 217,000 miles on it. It need to be rebuilt because of long shift times so I believe that there is internal leakage somewhere. But doesn't slip once in gear. Serviced every 25,000 miles. Infact I put a drain plug in the pan so I could just drain and fill it. Then I change the filter every other time. Took it on a trip just a few weeks ago 500 miles towing 2000lbs. No problems.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info!

I will definitely tear it down first. This being my first tranny rebuild, I want to do it right.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Check the PATC site for lots of upgrade parts for the OD Torqueflite:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm
Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

Ditto on the frequent fluid changes. Keeps mine alive in the Ram, as well as several of my FWD 4-spd autos. I think John was the one that told me about it so long ago.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

To anyone rebuilding these od tranys, If you want a good solid trans that will take some power, RAISE the line pressure!!! You do this with a shift kit, it helps with recalibrating the shift points.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Also, on the non-computer controlled it can be done with the cage screw and pulling the acc spring. I do kit them for the heavy hauling ones, to help out for cooling in the OD
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox View Post
To anyone rebuilding these od tranys, If you want a good solid trans that will take some power, RAISE the line pressure!!! You do this with a shift kit, it helps with recalibrating the shift points.
x2000 I can't agree more... The programming these VBs have is HORRIBLE. Even a Trans-Go Shift Kit Jr is a HUGE improvement over stock. There are a couple of other tricks and as said Sonnax makes some good problem solvers. Make sure to check the clearances in the front pump, replace the governor solenoid/pressure sensor, and most importantly REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER. The stock units are JUNK and they're a trap for contaminants that will get in your fresh trans if not replaced. TCS makes a good furnace brazed unit with better tolerances and a little better lockup clutch for about $200. It's really worth it IMO.

Also, install an auxiliary cooler and/or a deep aluminum pan. Heat is a major enemy with these 727/904 based OD transmissions
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

Ok...the saga continues....

Got it rebuilt. Can't get the park rod into the pawl...I've taken the valve body out twice since I got the tranny back in the truck.

Still need a new manual control arm...

I need your wisdom o' sages of the kingdom of Moparia!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crna2be View Post
Ok...the saga continues.... Got it rebuilt. Can't get the park rod into the pawl...I've taken the valve body out twice since I got the tranny back in the truck. Still need a new manual control arm... I need your wisdom o' sages of the kingdom of Moparia!
Ah yes, the park rod... That little fellow kicked my arse the first few transmissions I did until I developed a feel for it.

In the vehicle I find it easier to remove the park rod from the VB. Don`t worry it is indeed possible to put it back on the VB if you move the rooster comb to 1st gear so you can get the e-clip back on. Now, jack the rear end up (or all four corners if it`s AWD) and turn the driveshaft with one hand while trying to feed the park rod in with the other. This allows the park pawl to engage the OD/output drum which then makes enough room for the park rod to slip past