Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Default tranny fluid in the engine

OK, SO I WAS TOLD THAT BACK IN THE OLD DAYS MECHANICS WOULD DRAIN 1-2 QUARTS OF ENGINE OIL AND REPLACE IT WITH TRANNY FLUID FOR A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE THEY CHANGE THE OIL. SUPPOSEDLY IT CLEANS THE ENGINE. MY QUESTION IS "ARE THE STORIES TRUE???? AND IF SO, CAN IT BE DONE TO NEWER CARS TOO?"
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Yes it does clean the engine, and yes it can be done even on newer engines, but I sure wouldn't do it under a load, and sure not for a couple days, I would suggest doing it at idle for about 40 minutes...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

Default The safest

Engine cleaner is Amsoil engine cleaner. It works extremely well. You cannot, however drive with the cleaner in the oil. Idle for 20-30 minutes, drain and fill with oil and new filter. The stuff is amazing.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM

You can use diesel fuel too. It's a pretty good parts washer solvent too, although I prefer mineral spirits of my parts washer.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

diesel?? really? do i jst put that in the oil too, and do i jst let it idle 4 a while and drain it??
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Yup, just ad about a quart of diesel to your oil.

We get duramax diesels in all the time that come in with the oil full of fuel from leaking injectors. They only are suppose to have 10 quarts in them and I drain out 12-15 quarts. The people were driving these trucks and no bearing problems with any of them.

Alot of old tractors recommend flushing engines, transmissions, and final drives with diesel. Just drain, fill with diesel. Run the equipment back and forth lightly then drain diesel and refill with proper lube.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

ok, thanx guys... ill try it
Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0p4rfr34k View Post
OK, SO I WAS TOLD THAT BACK IN THE OLD DAYS MECHANICS WOULD DRAIN 1-2 QUARTS OF ENGINE OIL AND REPLACE IT WITH TRANNY FLUID FOR A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE THEY CHANGE THE OIL. SUPPOSEDLY IT CLEANS THE ENGINE. MY QUESTION IS "ARE THE STORIES TRUE???? AND IF SO, CAN IT BE DONE TO NEWER CARS TOO?"
It Works very well. I've done it every oil change on every vehicle I've had for the last 20 years. I'll replace 1 to 2 quarts of oil for ATF and then drive normally for a day then regular oil change. really keeps things clean.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVMopar View Post
Yup, just ad about a quart of diesel to your oil.

We get duramax diesels in all the time that come in with the oil full of fuel from leaking injectors. They only are suppose to have 10 quarts in them and I drain out 12-15 quarts. The people were driving these trucks and no bearing problems with any of them.

Alot of old tractors recommend flushing engines, transmissions, and final drives with diesel. Just drain, fill with diesel. Run the equipment back and forth lightly then drain diesel and refill with proper lube.
Um... Not so much... I'm not sure how your Duramax trucks haven't had bearing issues yet, but diesel is NOT friendly to bearings. I've had to rebuild more than a few engines due to things like stuck injectors or bad mechanical fuel pumps dumping diesel in the crankcase. Though I will say that diesel is more friendly than glycol based antifreeze on bearings.

If you're looking to clean out your engine, diesel rated oils have more detergents and do a better job of suspending contaminants than gas oils do. Though ATF has been known to free up sticky lifters
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

both diesel and atf are mostly kerosene, which is a terrific cleaner. they have a tendency to lower oil pressure, so shouldn't run more than a few minutes at idle. probably safer to use a specified engine cleaner like amsoil. I remember when Corvairs had lots of sticky valve lifters. Cleaners would usually restore them. For best cleaning, change oil and filter. Use cleaner and fresh oil. don't overfill. run 5-10 minutes at idle. change oil and filter.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing View Post
Um... Not so much... I'm not sure how your Duramax trucks haven't had bearing issues yet, but diesel is NOT friendly to bearings. Though I will say that diesel is more friendly than glycol based antifreeze on bearings.
I've had them pouring oil/diesel out the draft tube, and never put a bearing in any of them. Thank God too cause I HATE working on them. Major PITA. 10 hours to put 8 injectors in is STUPID. Still takes atleast 4 hours to put just 1 injector into the LB7 Duramax. I always change the oil after I do the injectors cause alot of debris falls into the engine when you take the valve covers off. You can't even get a air gun in there to try and blow it all out. I've got a gun with 3/16 brake line on it and still doesn't do a very good job.

Still adding diesel to the crankcase, trans, final drive, etc. is a quite common way to flush crap out.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Inactive User

One quart of tranny fluid for one quart of oil and drive it a while or instead of draining a quart, just add a half quart (one pint) of Marvel Mystery Oil. Years ago a friend had a very old panel truck with the original engine. It was a six and he was going to swap it with a V-8 later. Anyway the engine was really dirty inside. He added some Marvel Mystery Oil and it loosened up so much stuff, that it all went in the pan and clogged the oil pick-up screen. He pulled the oil pan , cleaned the pan and the pick-up screen and drove it another year before he changed the engine.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

If I remember Gunk flush is used at idle speed for 10 to 20 minutes. STP flush says not to drive or put a load on the engine but to raise the RPM above idle speed fpr 30 minutes or so. I worked in Europe years ago. They had a lot of very small engines and didn't change the oil often. Once there was an old small car burning oil and smoking. The guy that owned the shop ran engine flush in the engine for a long time at different RPM's. Then changed the oil. It quit smoking. I asked him why that was and he said the pistons rings get gummed and quit scraping oil and allow oil into the cylinders. Once the rings are cleaned by flushing, they start working again and the engine quits burning oil. Now these engines didn't have a lot of miles like cars in America but the way they were used and the small amount of oil they held really got the oil dirty quickly. Before then I had always thought of engine flush as a way to clean hydraulic lifters.