Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

Default My D get's its first dealer service

I cannot describe how much I hate bringing my vehicles to have them serviced but the D needed it(Id much rather do it myself). I complained about it in the Dak forum but I dont know if I mentioned it in here. When you'd floor it and it would kick down into first to pass there were times when it would'nt upshift and it would hit the rev limiter. Especially embarrassing when you're side-by-side with who you're passing. Alot of times they actually think you're trying to get them to race, lol. Anyway the reasons why I did'nt want the dealers hands on my truck are that it would only do it after you've driven for about an hour and everything was nice and hot and it would only do it under WOT. So Im handing my truck over and saying "here, drive this all day and while you're at it, drive the piss out of it". Not what I want to imagine my baby being in for. But I was out today and I had to go pick up a fender for my trailer about an hour away so on the way home I tried it a couple of times and sure enough, hit the rev limiter everytime so I stopped at the closest dealer(one of the few local dealers I havent had bad experiences with, in fact, I had'nt any experience with them) and went in to the service dept. I explained what it did, he asked if it was hot right now. I said yeah. He took the keys, went out and drove it, said the valve body was screwed up. He asked if I had a couple of hours to wait for it. I said, what, you're going to do it now? He said, yeah. I said, you actually have the part? He said, yeah. I said, its under warranty right? He said, yeah. Bottom line in a little over 2 hours he got my D back on the road and shifting like it should. My first good experience with a car dealership! I could probably go on but this is already my longest post ever! For the site's sake, I'll skip the sig.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Your Lucky Day!

BlkBird,

Sounds like it was your lucky day! I hate those intermittent problems. They always happen for me, but never the dealer. It sounds like you had perfect timing (both with your problem and with a not very busy dealership). I know that a lot of people badmouth their dealers, but I've never had a problem with mine. The only thing that makes me nervous is that I have the B&G flash. Even though I tell them not to reflash my PCM and put notes over the PCM port and the PCM itself, I'm always scared that they'll reflash it anyway. So far I still have my B&G flash.
Anyway, I'm glad that you found a good dealership and got your problem fixed.

NightBandit
Old 04-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Inactive User

Help

Blkbrd - I just got around to reading this post (takes me awhile to do anything anymore). While read along I'm thinking to myself, yeah this sounds just like mine. My D's got 28K miles on it and I think it's done this since new. The first time it happened I thought it was just me and my right foot. After the second time, I decided somethings not quite right here. I've gone out and stomped it on purpose a couple of times in different conditions and mine dosn't have to be all that hot.

So now the big question - If you've still got the paperwork lying around, what's that part number? I'd like to hit up the service guys with this and get it fixed without screwing with anything else along the way, know what I mean?

TIA
Old 04-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

I know what you mean. I was afraid they were just going to tell me the TV cable was out of adjustment and screw around with that and make it shift sooner. They were really cool about everything, when I told the service manager it did it "when I kicked it down to pass someone", he turned and told the mechanic it "does it when he gets on it" lol. I finally found a dealer that does'nt mind you driving your vehicles hard, of course Im moving at the end of the month Anyway, I dont have a clue where my paperwork is. He said that they replaced the valve body itself. Had I known that was what was wrong with it I would've looked for one that had been modded for a shift kit!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Inactive User

BlkBird -

Well, thanks for looking for the papers. My experience with one local dealer (not the one where I bought my Green D!) has been very good, so far. I think I'll wander over someday soon and have a talk with them. Maybe if I tell them I know for sure that another dealer prescribed a new valve body, they'll replace mine as well. Might even have the fluid upgraded to synth at the same time! They buy some parts, I buy some parts, everyone is happy. Not a bad deal, eh?

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

No problem, sorry I could'nt help more. We're moving next week so my life is in chaos right now