Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

Help Shocks and Tires!!!

For some reason the message board erased my first message....but here goes for the second time.

I own a 1998 Durango 4x4 with a 318. Its stock and my daily driver. It has 65k miles and the tires some how lasted this long. Im looking to replace the shocks and tires asap. Im looking to eliminate the wobbly feeling when I go over bumps at high speed. I plan on going off roading on the beach this summer a bunch and a little playing in the mud. I am looking for all terrain tires. I got a few questions to ask so please help me out:

Should I get wider or taller tires(or both) or will a better set help out with the wobble at high speeds?
Is replacing the shocks hard on Ds? Do I need any special tools or can I do it in my driveway?
Any helpful tips when I replace them?

This is my daily driver so I dont really want huge loud tires but Id like to get rid of the squirly tires I got on there and make the ride more stable. Also be able to handle a bit better off road.

Thxs for the help,
sjzdx
Old 04-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

A wobble at higher speeds? Better have the front suspension checked, mainly, upper and lower control arm ball joints and the inner tie rods, they are notorious for wearing out. As for tires, I am running BFG All terrains on my jeep and they give great traction on all surfaces, except deep mud. You probably have 31" tires right now as pretty much all Durangos has 31s. If you go taller, you will likely need to lift it a bit to fit them.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Almost forgot the shock question. The front shocks are very easy to replace, the rear shocks will have you swearing and experiencing RAGE. When you try to remove the top end of the shocks, you will understand why. I would suggest removing the spare tire to ease removal, thats what I will do the next time I have to do it.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

by wobble I mean it seems top heavy and bouncie....probly the shocks now that I think about it.
thxs for the reply
Old 04-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

I'm still running the Wrangler's that came on my '01 SLT but I expect to replace them this summer. Probably go with Bridgestones 'cause I like them for the 99% road work my D sees.

As for shocks, I replaced mine at about 20K with the new Rancho 9000X's. They are individually adjustable or you can get an optional electric adjust that mounts inside. These are great shocks. The ride is 100 times better than stock. Of course, just about any shock is going to be better than the originals especially if you have over 25K miles on them. You'll pay for the Rancho's but in my opnion they are the best available. The info says that the company will even rebuild them at a nominal cost. Guess I should have kept the originals just to hold it up if I ever need the Rancho's rebuilt, eh?

As always, just my $0.02 worth!
Old 04-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

replaced the shocks this last weekend and you were right!!! the front ones were no problem but the back ones were a pain in the butt!! bottoms came out fine but the tops were a pain, specially the one above the exhaust. after much cursing i got it done. I used monroe sensa tracks. now this weekend im going tire shopping with the 500 i just won from a lottery scratch ticket. hehe.