Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Default Stupid idiot lights!!!

my idiot lights are being idiotic!!! The ABS light and parking brake light seem to go on when ever they feel like it. When i first got it I made the dealership i bought it off of fix it. They said it was some sensor in the rear diff(or something like that). It was fine for about 6 months and now it lights up at no specific times. it just goes on and off whenever it feels like. WTH is the problem? any ideas?

thxs,
Sjzdx

oh and no the parking break is not on...actually i never use it.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

Did they just replace the sensor in the rear diff and not do anything else? I have seen several of these sensors fail and they all failed for the same reason, the trac-loc preload springs, in the differential, cracked and fell apart sending pieces into the sensor literally destroying the sensor. The proper repair in those cases involved removing the diff case and overhauling the trac-loc diff. Its possible that the dealer, to keep costs low, just replaced the sensor, (cheaper than rebuilding the case), and booted it out the door. Whithout having the vehicle in front of me to check, I can't say why the light is on now as I don't know what code has been stored. If, what I have just described, has happened, it is possible that there has been damage to the tone wheel for the sensor that will cause a bad signal to the ABS computer at higher speeds and cause the light to come on. You will have to find out what code is stored to go any further. What I have talked about is just one possibility. Find out for sure if you do have a trac-loc equipped axle and if its functioning properly before running back to the dealer
Old 05-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

it could also be a wire problem. A bad wire that is cut slightly enough that it is moveing around causing it to break contact and throw a code. I agree that you need to find out what the code is that it is throwing. and then go from there.