Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Question Daytona Shelby 2.2 Turbo 2 5-Speed tranny info needed.

I have a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.2 Turbo 2 5-Speed. I need to know the proper lubrication for the tranny It has the A555. I was told to use 10w30. If so how often should I change it, where do I drain it, and where do I add more.

Plus if it gets low on lubrication will it slip?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Inactive User

I own the same car, from the chrysler service manual on the a555 trans uses sae 5w30 oil as the lubricant. if fluid is low trans will not slip sounds like a clutch issue,trans holds 2.5 qts
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
I have a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.2 Turbo 2 5-Speed. I need to know the proper lubrication for the tranny It has the A555. I was told to use 10w30. If so how often should I change it, where do I drain it, and where do I add more.

Plus if it gets low on lubrication will it slip?
It is IMPOSSIBLE for a manual transmission to slip... that would be the fault of the clutch or loose nut behind the wheel. if fluid level is excessively low in a manual transmission the fault would be exactly the opposite of slipping,,, it would be seizing and lockup with no ability to turn.

use 5w30 syth engine oil and you will never ever have to worry about changing for the entire life of the vehicle. there is a drain plug at the bottom of the trans and a fill plug on the side of the trans. that's where you take out the fluid and install the fluid.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedpipes View Post
I own the same car, from the chrysler service manual on the a555 trans uses sae 5w30 oil as the lubricant. if fluid is low trans will not slip sounds like a clutch issue,trans holds 2.5 qts
Thanks for the info. I just found the same info on the lubricant. Should I use Full Sythetic?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dodge View Post
It is IMPOSSIBLE for a manual transmission to slip... that would be the fault of the clutch or loose nut behind the wheel. if fluid level is excessively low in a manual transmission the fault would be exactly the opposite of slipping,,, it would be seizing and lockup with no ability to turn.

use 5w30 syth engine oil and you will never ever have to worry about changing for the entire life of the vehicle. there is a drain plug at the bottom of the trans and a fill plug on the side of the trans. that's where you take out the fluid and install the fluid.
Thanks for the info. I had thought the same thing that it was IMPOSSIBLE for a manual transmission to slip. Should I use 5w30 full synthetic oil? I am wondering as to why I would never ever have to worry about changing for the entire life of the vehicle as it is motor oil, and it does break down over time with useage plus it also has a time span on it also? Just courious.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:29 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
I am wondering as to why I would never ever have to worry about changing for the entire life of the vehicle as it is motor oil, and it does break down over time with useage plus it also has a time span on it also? Just courious.
There are no byproducts of combustion or unburned fuel in the transmission. It should stay clean for a long time.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just found the same info on the lubricant. Should I use Full Sythetic?

Waste of good money. Unless your going to race it and get it really hot from abuse it wont do any good to add the syntho over the regular oil.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
There are no byproducts of combustion or unburned fuel in the transmission. It should stay clean for a long time.
Ok . Good answer. Now I understand.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
Waste of good money. Unless your going to race it and get it really hot from abuse it wont do any good to add the syntho over the regular oil.
Thanks for the info.