Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Default 300M transmission problem

I have a 2003 300M with 87K on it. Recently it has developed a problem that when you have to brake pretty agressively and slow to about 20 mph it will go into 'limp mode' on the tranny. If I stop and shut the engine off and restart it everything is fine again. The tranny shifts, drives, and everything as it should. I know if I could get it hooked up when it does it I could get a code but it is hard to do when you never know when it will do it. Anyone have any ideas on where to start?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 AM

Well found the problem. Turned out the low speed valve and clutches are bad. Dealer wants a fortune($2800) for a reman tranny, or $1000 to just repair the problem but with no warranty.
Guess they just don't make them like they used too
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Inactive User

Can you get a second opinion? The dealer might just be giving a super quick, money-making quasi-diagnosis, or could be right. I hear that the trannys on the cab forward cars have a tendency to be weak, some failing at 50K, but with other symptoms. Did you scan it for stored codes? Or, have a friend drive it while you look at scanner? There is a chance that it's a bad sensor, such as speed control or part of the brake system. That type of thing seems to fit the symptom better.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

Low speed valve? Can you be a little more specific at what they want to repair? Clutches are bad? Did they give you any specifics. On that trans you get a CVI (clutch volume index) number when scaning that can be a determining factor on the state of wear in the clutch packs. The higher the number the more worn the clutches are or seals leaking; simple description is it takes more fill volume to apply worn clutches(more clearance) or seals leaking fluid by(like a leak in a bucket while trying to fill). Kinda cheesy analogy but thats the basic explanation. Does the speedometer go erratic when this happens,if it does that points at a speed sensor problem.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM

When this happens the speedometer doesn't change at all. I did find when bringing the car home that a slight increase in rpms(200) keeps it from acting up. I travel for work all the time so as soon as I can going to get into it alot deeper to find the problem.
Great to have a place to start.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

did you find the problem? Replace the trans?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

my 1995 sebring does something similiar, I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with the brakes? there is anti-lock light on dash lit up.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

What is the code? L/R valve latched in low position? That's common and can be a few simple things to repair, but needs to be PROPERLY diagnosed. My shop does a ton of sublet work for local trans shop. We fix the issues after the trans shop rebuilt the unit and it still does the same thing! Happens more than you can imagine. Take the vehicle to a competent trans/electrical tech.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM

I finally found a good transmission tech. He told me that 1999-2003 solenoid pack on top of transmission is a common problem causing this. I let the car set for about 3 months and the battery went dead when I charged the battery and started the car no codes. I have had to drive the car almost a monthe now to get it to start to act up and have the check engine light come back on. I will be taking it back to him this weekend and I'll post the codes it is throwing.
Thanks for everyones help
Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Inactive User

Yes it can cause it, you need a simulator to verify it. You will need to check the number on the valvebody as well. If it is a 1776 code, you may have to replace the valvebody depending on it's number.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

I took my Sebring to a shop, and after they tried several things, throwing parts at it,rebuilding everything, etc. finally replacing the trans computer fixed it
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Inactive User

Is this trans a 4 speed or 5 speed?