Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Inactive User

Default 93 Dodge spirit getting no fuel?

I have a 93 dodge spirit i use as a work car. I came home one night and parked the car. The next morning I tried starting it and it wouldn't fire up. I did some basic checks and found no fuel was getting to the throttle body. I had replaced the fuel pump and filter about 9 mo ago. I just figured it was a bad fuel pump, so I went and got my pump replaced because it was still under warrenty. I cleaned the tank, installed the new pump, and tank. Still no Fuel. I can hear the pump running but no fuel to the throttle body. Disconnected all the lines and blew threw them to make sure nothing was clogging the lines. They were clear. So with that being done I left the fuel line coming to the fuel filter dissconnected from it, Hit the key and still it's not even pumping fuel to the filter. I don't know if there is a shut off valve, relay or something that would tell it to stop pumping or what. But you can hear it running. I also wonder if I am just a lucky guy and got two bad fuel pumps. They're Autozone specials so I wouldn't be suprised if that's the case.

Any help would be appriciated, I know I'm kind of puzzled.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Inactive User

Nobody has any ideas?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 AM

What engine?

What codes do you have?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

Something in the tank might be preventing fuel getting to the pump.
I would be dubious about using autozone stuff for an in-tank pump. Too much work for replacing.
Check voltage to the pump. If it is getting voltage and you do hear it running, pump has to be bad or there is a blockage before or just after the pump. The pump motor might be running, but the impeller might be busted.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

Chirorod- This is my second autozone pump. The first one was 9 mo old. When it stopped pumping fuel I just assumed the fuel pump was bad. I cleaned the tank, Changed it. Still nothing. So, now i'm looking for other possiable answers. It could just be junk, I don't know.

JVMopar

The motor is a 2.2 4 cyl. the code is flashing either a 12 or 13.

12-problem with stand-by memory circuit. Direct battery input to controller disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-ons

13-indicates a problem with the MAP sensor pneumatic (vacuum) system

Don't know what either of these mean but If you have any input, I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

I would first test at the tank to see if fuel is coming out of the tank with the pump on if not then you know the problem is in the tank. If you get fuel there then the problem is in between the tank and the filter.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Inactive User

I've already checked. I'm not getting any fuel out of the tank. But the pump is running. I just wondered if there was a fuel shutoff somewhere or maybe a relay that would tell it not to pump fuel? I also only notice the fuel pump running when I try to start the car. I thought it should run when you turn the key to the accessories possition to prime the system.?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Do you have spark?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Inactive User

yes sir, I can squirt a little fuel down the trottle body and it runs for about a second. Checked compression as well. 150psi across all 4
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 AM

If you remove the fuel line from the throttle body is there fuel there when you cycle the key?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

There is none there or even getting to the fuel filter. took my air chuck and blew threw all the lines to insure there is no clogs. fuel filter is clear as well. It's almost like the pump is bad. but I still hear it kick on. Maybe the pump is bad, just think it's odd that I park it and the next time i go to start it, I get nothing. It's also odd that two new pumps are bad?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Inactive User

I don't know that system. So, take everything with a grain of salt. I don't think there is a separate fuel valve that the computer would shut off. The pump being on or off is the control. There is a fuel pressure regulator, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem, since you are testing before that. I would put fuel pressure tester designed for fuel injection systems on it to check for pressure. My experience with autozone is that it is more than very possible to get 2 bad pumps.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Get an old sealed beam headlight bulb and wire it to the connector for the fuel pump. If the light will light up then bad pump. If it won't then you have a bad wire, ground, or relay.

There is the main body ground that is by the battery. Between the battery and strut tower. It's just a sheet metal screw. I've seen alot of those badly corroded. Might want to clean that. Preventative maintenance if nothing else.