Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-14-2001, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

Question Grand Caravan Transaxle

Took delivery of a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan last month with the 3.3 V6. Love the way it drives. I was really impressed with the Caravan when I rented one for a business trip a while back. My first new Mopar since a 1992 Dakota that gave stellar service.

I have since heard of Caravan transmission troubles. After surfing the net the last few days, I have read some real horror stories about these transmissions. Does anyone know if first there is a real design problem; and if so, are the 2002 versions a problem? Should I opt. for the extended warranty? Any unbiased info out there?
Old 12-14-2001, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Mini-Van Transaxles

My wife put 145,000 miles on our 1990 Chrysler Town & Country. The van was very good to us, minimal repairs, good mileage (18+ mpg) and comfortable. We did have the trans rebuilt at 119,000 miles. It was expensive(about $1800.00) but, it included all the factory upgrades. It had been serviced only one time from new to 119,000 and that was 6 months before it failed at the Chrysler dealer!! Shoulda left the old fluid in it, but I felt guilty!! It would be still running if a fool hadn't run into the side of it and totalled it. The wreck scared her away from the mini-vans

Now she has an Expedition and I hate it!!.. Servicing it is a nightmare, its a pig on gas and besides I don't want to own a Norwegian Truck!! Its a Fjord, right?

I wish we had bought a new Chrysler mini-van... I would be happier. I would not spend the money on the service contract. Just put $50.00 a month into a savings account. You might need it and you would have it. If you didn't need it, then you would have the cash and the F&I weasles wouldn't. As always, just my opinion!
Old 12-16-2001, 01:20 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Have not seen many problems with the current vans but the 98-2000's have a weak differential.
Have seen a lot of diff pins get blown through the case.
But.....This is caused from getting stuck and rocking between forward and reverse, or just general abuse.

As a whole they have been good.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:02 AM

I got 73,000 now on my 2000 Grand Caravan. I take it out of overdrive when cruising thru town or below 50 mph, and it's been flawless so far.
It's had fluid/filter changes at 30, and 60K, and have been pondering getting the bands adjusted next time. It has a funny down shift every now and then, and sometimes when very cold, hesitates before going in reverse. But normally it just performs with no muss or fuss for the most part.
Six pack, you're comment on rocking back and forth worries me some. While I've never revved it up and dropped it in gear from neutral, it got some careful rocking back and forth last winter during the large snows. I tried not to clang it, but may have mistimed it a few times while spinning in snow. I'ts never had the gears changed from forward to reverse or vice versa on dry pavement under power, however.
Think I got anything to worry about?
I plan just to drive it till it drops.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Stoga,
Sounds like you are taking very good care of your trans.
Typically the diff will grenade within a couple of months of the
incident of excess slippage of one wheel.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by six pack
Typically the diff will grenade within a couple of months of the
incident of excess slippage of one wheel.
Well, I have to admit to slipping the wheels pretty good going up my driveway. It's about a 30 degree slope or better, gravel over hard packed dirt. I broke a diff pin in my 96 Breeze at a little over 70K, luckily covered under warrantee. I just wonder if there is any hint of trouble before the minivan transaxle gives up the ghost? It's been more than a couple of months, so I can assume that nothing done last winter did any damage. I'm just wondering if I can do anything to be prepared, either to prevent damage or to repair it before it fails. The Neon-Cloud cars got a retainer to hold the differential pin on later models that the 95-97 cars didn't have, is there something similar for GC transaxles?
Old 07-28-2003, 12:49 AM

Red face

Those 604 tranys have a bad rep. but the newer ones seem to be a lot better. They have improved them quite a bit . My wife has a '96 Caravan that aside from a minor seal leak has been trouble free. One thing that is extreamly important is using the correct fluid. (Mopar +3 or +4) Using dexron in them is deadly to the trans.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

The earlier 604 4 speed trans were terrible, bad seals, blown planetaries and then diff pins through the case. These issues have been addressed and the failure rate of this trans is well below the industry standard. As an example, 6 years ago, the two tranny guys at my dealer used to overhaul around 2 each per week, now we may see one per month, if that.