Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

Default 4spd/3spd auto hybrid

I wish Mother Mopar had had the forsight to build a 4speed automatic that would fit the 2.2 and 2.5 4-cylinder engines. I know the 3.0 and 3.3 V6's started out w/ a 413 w/ a modified case to fit the bolt pattern and different length of the engine. I know it is also possible to swap some of the A-604 parts into an A-413 case to beef it up. I like the basic 2.5tbi's and i don't want to cut up my car to install a manual tranny, but a 4speed auto conversion would be nice if it was possible. It would obviously take a major facility to cast a 604 case w/ a redesigned 'neck' on it. Converting my Aries wagon to a 4spd auto and adding a lock-up converter would really make that little 2.5 shine. The 3spd auto goes pretty good off the line, but it just doesn't give the engine enough choices when the pedal is on the floor at higher speeds.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Considering the amount of effort it would take, I would rather convert to 5spd manual and ditch the slushbox. Making a 4spd auto for a 2.2 2.5 TBI would probably cost more money than its worth in my honest opinion. However it does sound cool, but where to start is the tough part.

The 4spd A-604 was a computer controlled transmission, so even if you could find someone to cast a new casing to make it bolt up to a 2.2 2.5 it wouldn't be that easy. You'd have to consider a whole bunch of other things like all the associated electronics and also internal differences, while I agree with what you said that they shared parts with the 413, I would also venture to say that there is more than a difference in the case. Plus you would have to do a whole lot of research and would comparing a lot of measurements

Basically to do what you want you would have to re engineer a 604. More power to you if you can do that
Old 04-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Default neon 4spd

Just found out about the 4 speed in the new neon. I read somewhere that the engines in neons, though an entirely new design, are based on the old 2.2L. I would gather the 3spd used in the neon up 'till now is a revamped A413. If the bolt pattern on the new 2.0 is the same as the old 2.2, then the new 4spd tranny might work. Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Default mexico

they made a 604 4speed that fit a 2.2 2.5 in mexico so if you wonta go done there and get one bring me back one k
OH and the neon tranny wont work the starter is in the front of the engine on the neon and on the 2.2 will we all know it in the back they got it away from the heat boy what a good idel that was. i work at a dodge dealer and i have never replaced a neon starter NEVER ..... you know thouhgt one could move thhe starter to the front if it did bolt up even yous the new starter ... but one would then have to fix the engene monte how would you bolt it up the strater would be in the way ... seems to me it would be easyer to just mount a neon enge and trany in your car if you wonted to make it look stock then just bolt up the old two valve head to the neon 2.0 it will fit .. you just have to block the oil return . and fix some other way to return to pan ..
better yet just put the whole engne in and hock you fuel system up to it the hard part would be they ignetion ...
HELL JUST BUY A NEON .............