Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation This is my story

I currently got my hands on an 1987 Chrysler Lebaron Coupe, with a 2.2L EFI and its in running shape, at the most... It needs alot of work and I would like some help on fully restoring the engine... So far... I have put new callipers on... (it took two days to get them loose, thats how long this car has been left alone) New Rotors and pads... They told me they have never changed or had the brakes changed on it since they had it.... I purchased a new Distrib Cap and Rotor... But one of the screws is messed up and wont come out... I bought a new air filter and took the old one out and it was as black as night... So i put two and two together and figured out that thats what the smell was in the car. Pure logic of a non-thinker. They also ran the car with no trans. fluid, and it leaks from the left wheel well. If anyone can help... Let me know.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

Default Also

I would like to know how hard/easy it would be to add a turbo onto my engine, i understand these models came with turbos, well the later ones did... I would like to jack up the performance on this car as much as possible.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

As far as the leaking goes on the trans. Its probably a worn seal at the dif housing where the CV's go in. You probably could replace it in car but chances are if the trans has been run a lot with a low fluid level it is probably worn in other areas from lack of fluid and consequently increased heat. In other words replacing the seal would probably only a be a temporary fix depending on how much internal wear has already occurred

To address turbocharging your car. The most practical way to do it would be to find a turbo lebaron of the same year and swap everything, engine, trans, harness, computer. Although I have considered it in the past, I would not suggest trying to turbocharge your NA engine. The turbo engine will have different internals intended for the forced induction.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Inactive User

Thank you for your advice, I will definately keep that in mind. I will look into the internal wear on my transmission... I have a friend who is a transmission expert, I will have to get a hold of him and ask him to check it out for me. Thanks.