Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Modified 3.0 Dusters???

I either want a Jeep 5.9 Limited or a Sundance Duster, and could use any info about either. If you have a modded 5.9 Limited, modded Duster 3.0, OR could help me in any way, let's hear it!

PS - Yes I know this is the FWD forum, and my post is dealing heavily with FWD, with a sub post of 4x4..
Old 12-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

As far as 3.0L's go, some people hate them, some love them. If you are looking at Dusters, you might want to check out Turbo Shadows as well. A turbo Shadow will have a lot more potential than the 3.0L. The turbo engines also have pretty much the same amount of hp, and more torque in most cases.

Best part about them, is you can spend $30 on a grainger valve, bleed the wastegate and run a few extra pounds (up to about 14psi) with the stock fuel system.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the interesting advice. Having lots of experience with the 3.0, I want to go that route. I also had experience with the NA 2.2, it's the worst engine I've ever seen. Not to turn any of you other 2.2 enthusiasts away from me, but in my personal case it was not good for me. I've heard via allpar.com that the 16G turbo would be able to be retrofitted onto the SOHC NA 3.0, is that true?

thanks for any advice you all would share
Old 12-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

You can put a turbo on anything provided you have the resources. I have seen turbos on everything from vipers to 3.3L Dynasty's to gopeds.

Also as far as the 2.2 goes, there is a world of difference between the NA and turbo engines. As far as it being the worst engine you have ever dealed with, you didn't explain why so I cannot really comment. However I will say that you will find more people have better experiance with the 2.2/2.5 and prefer it over the 3.0L.

The 3.0L is actually a mitsu design, the Mopars having the worst version with the least performance. A lot of the ones out there like to burn oil from dropping valve guides. Many of them are also equipped with the A604 4spd auto which is not well known for reliability.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:54 AM
Inactive User

Good points. Yes, it was the NA 2.2, 1987 was the model year. I know about the valve guides, there's already a 1993 Duster in the family. The A604 isn't a great trans for reliability, I know that too, I've heard something about alot of the time repairs for the A604 consist of speed sensors instead of the common misconception/repair ploy that it needs a rebuild. I'd get a low mileage 3.0, hopefully 5 speed but automatic would do. You would be very suprized about how well the Duster performs if you have no experience. I will be modifying it with all the goodies : Magnecor plug wires, NipponDenso spark Plugs, Underdrive pullies, FM Air system, K&N/other premium conical filter, 52MM TB, and other things, up to trying to put a 16G turbo on it. Have you experience with the 3.0 Duster personally? It's actually faster than the Mitsubishi 3.0 Equipped cars, except for the VR-4, and maybe the SL< I don't know.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

Is there a difference in the engine in the Duster from the Daytonas/Spirits and other cars? Or is it just being a lighter car that makes it go a little better?
I know everyone has their own preference and if you're used to working on a 3.0, that would explain why you'd like another one. I've had 2 of them go through the family, but after 3 engines and 5 trannies between them I'll say that I love my 2.2 turbos. Never seen an easier car to work on. Or cheaper. And the performance is a bonus. Lemme tell ya, a 2.2/2.5 turbo in a Shadow really moves!!! (see my sig )

I guess if you know the 3.0 and like the work, they can be made quick. They just need a turbo. How strong are they? How much power can they handle and stay together? Tranny?
Old 12-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Modddds

They're extremely strong. They share the same block and bottom end as the 3000GT VR-4 and Dodge Stealth R/T, and can handle 300HP+ with only bigger fuel injectors from said cars, and maybe a fuel pump. All the basic mods can be performed, and I know the 3.0 like the back of my hand...

thanks for the thoughts,

Sean