Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-08-2000, 05:07 PM
Inactive User

Question

I own an 85 Shelby Charger. It is in excellent condtion and it runs great. I put in a MPP computer and I am going to intercool it when I can find a starion front mount intercooler. Recently I blew the clutch in it and want to replace it by myself. I have all the bolts connecting it to the block and have the starter out and the shift linkage apart. The transmission will not drop out to get at the clutch. Can anyone give me a tip on how to do it?
Thanx,
Jim
Old 02-09-2000, 01:37 AM
Moderate anarchist

Cool

A couple of dumb questions for you. Did you pull the axles too? Did you pull the driver's side trans mount on the end of the tranny? There should also be a dogbone attached to the trans in the back, near the diff cover. If you have the A525 trans, and you should unless it's been swapped out, seriously consider the differential girdle and the HD spider gears MP sells. I used to blow those trans up with just a TBI 2.2 in an 86 Daytona. It wouldn't hurt to add the HD internals as well, especially since you plan to up the power.

Steve

------------------
38 Plymouth P6
65 Plymouth Barracuda
87 Dodge Diplomat
89 Plymouth Caravan
96 Dodge Neon

"No quarter asked, none given" - Thunderstruck Racing
Old 02-09-2000, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the advice about the MP parts that you recommended. Yes I have the Half shafts pulled along with the drivers side trans mount. I don't know if there is something that I am missing or what, but I'm going to buy the service manual for it.

Thanx,
Jim
Old 04-13-2000, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

I didn't see you mention the rear 'dogbone' mount being removed. That could be one area of trouble. I assume that since you've removed the axles that you've dropped the ends of the sway bar from the control arms? I found it useful to remove the intermediate shaft completely from the k frame as well. Put a jack (with a piece of wood on it) under the oil pan, make sure all the bolts are out, including the one that hold teh front motor mount to the core support, and pry that bad boy out of there.
Do yourself a favor and put the starter back in before replacing the tranny. I've never removed one before removing the trans. Other than that, it should slide right off and onto the floor. It helps to have another jack underneath to catch it...
I guess all I can recommend is checking all the bolts a 2nd or 3rd time to make sure you got them all.
As for the MP parts, I was under the impression that if you have a turbo car 525, then you already have the HD spider gears. I also think that the MP girdle is no more as well. Try Forward Motion or Lambros.

Greg

[This message has been edited by Zark (edited April 13, 2000).]