Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-21-2000, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

I would like to talk to some avenger owners or even people who have worked on them. I have an automatic '96 avenger that i feel has minor problems and would like to see if they can be fixed and the cost of it. The first thing is when i am slowing down to a stop the car down shifts hard feeling like i was tapped in the rear end. If anyone has had this same experience please reply back. The other thing is i have a power sunroof and it rattles and i was wondering if anyone had that problem too and if it got fixed. Thanks for your time!

Dani
Old 09-22-2000, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

Well Dani, I have a '97 Sebring which is basically an Avenger and I also work in a Dodge dealership rebuilding transmissions, so maybe I can be of help here. The condition you are describing when coming to a stop sounds like what is called a 2-1 bump shift. It used to happen quite a bit on the 41TE trans (which is what you have) on year models 95 and before. The Low/Reverse piston seal is usually the culprit. Chrysler redesigned the piston seal from a lip design to a D-shaped design which has proven to be better. However, this is the rear-most seal in the transmission, which means removal and complete disassembly. What you will want to do is take it to a reputable shop and have them test drive it and scan the trans computer to see if any fault codes have been stored and see what the clutch volumes read. There will most likely be a software update for the trans computer also. Most likely you are looking at 1200.00 easy to repair the trans if the seal is the problem. The rattle in the sunroof usually requires sunroof track replacement. That's my experience, I've only replaced three, thank goodness. I hate interior trim work. I really don't have a good estimate for the sunroof repair, but you're probably looking at 300.00 for the part and 2 or 3 hours labor. There could also be only a screw loose securing the sunroof glass to the frame. There are three or four on each side securing it, they're visible when the sunroof is open. Take a look at those and try to wiggle the glass up and down when it is open and see if there is any movement at any of the screws. Sorry to keep rambling on, but I hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2000, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for your technical input. I now have a better idea of what is going on. I'm not sure if i can spend the money now on it. It isn't going to do any more harm to the car if it doesn't get fixed right away is it? Again thanks for the info.

Dani
Old 09-22-2000, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

You will probably be able to drive for a while longer with this condition. What will happen is the bump will eventually get worse and you will probably see a delayed engagement into drive or reverse, whichever one you choose upon first start up in the morning. The only damage I've seen so far is a broken reaction plate, but that's only a 25.00 part. I don't know the service history of your vehicle but if you keep the fluid changed every 15 thousand miles the seals tend to last a lot longer. I have 88 thousand on mine and no problems yet.
Old 09-22-2000, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

That helps me think alittle easier about it now. I bought the car used in April and like i said before it is a '96 automatic 4cyclinder and when i bought it it had 30,900 miles on it and now it has 37,100 on it. Just one last question, is there a history of this problem for this model car? Thanks again!

Dani
Old 09-22-2000, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

For that model year no, but the trans is known for that on older models. You may try a transmission service first, it's the cheapest route for now and 37,000 it's very possible the fluid has never been changed. If you have it done make absolutely sure that type 7176 ATF+3 is used. If any other type such as Dexron is used the shift quality will diminish severely. There are additives out there that claim to help shifting problems and cure leaks but I don't use them and don't recommend them. They make help you, I don't know, but if money is an issue and the problem gets worse it may be worth it to try one, but once again, I don't recommend it. You have one good thing going for you though. Your car has the four banger and it isn't strong enough to do any real damage to the trans. I've only had to go into three Avenger transmissions since this vehicle has been introduced due to something actually breaking inside. If you ever have any questions or problems feel free to e-mail me if you prefer at spraytor@columbus.rr.com and I'll be glad to help. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

Default sebring auto trans

my 1995 sebring v6 auto trans has an intermitent problem. It seems more often in hot weather. going at highway speed, sometimes it shifts itself into nuetral, then when I slow down, just before i stop completely, it shifts hard into gear, then it's locked into that gear and won't upshift. I don't like automatics anyway, was thinking if I could convert it to a standard? is there standard trans made that would bolt up to 2.5v6? I have several junkyards nearby