Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-08-2000, 03:14 PM

I've had this idea for awhile, I know it's not original, but I just want to see if anybody here has done it and what cost I could expect. What I would like to do, is pick up a used Manual Omni (I can find one with body in good shape for like $100, early 80's), and then rebuilding and turbocharging the existing 2.2l engine. I've seen the 10 second K-Car, but a K-car is too big, I want something that'll absolutely make someone wretch from the embarrasment, a turbo-omni. I found a GLH for sale down in Virginia for $1,800, but I'm wondering if it'll be cheaper, more fun to approach the project from the ground up, with a base Omni.

So anybody here done it? What kind of bills can I expect?

Sam
Old 12-09-2000, 05:22 PM
Inactive User

OK here's my scoop. I posted the turbo aries question in the forum also. The reason is my wife thought of this since our daily driver aries went out. We bought the Turbo LeBaron for parts. (I posted my about the LeBaron in the other topic) This all came about mainly because of an Omni we just got also for $500. If this conversion works she wants me to attempt it to the aries. The Omni had a 2.2.L carb and automatic. The seller was going to turn this into a race car. He bought a severely rusted out '85 GLHS, he swapped all the 5 lug suspension under '87. We got all the wiring out of it, and the '85 T1 with the 525. I have a T2 sitting in my shed waiting for me to get the Omni together and work the bugs out. Then the T2 goes in
I got the Fuel tank also, along with the power and logic modules. We are keeping the Omni "stock looking" except for the 5 lug wheels. I got the service manual for my 87 Turbo Shawdow and it covers the Omni. It should go relatively easy with the service manual. Turbo motors are always in the junkyard. Probably easier to get a good core and rebuild it. The Turbo's have lower compresion and return ports in the block for the Turbo oil supply and return, and the coolant return. The coolant supply is from the water neck. You would still have to get the Turbo intake and exhaust manifolds, along with all the sensors, like map sensor and such. To swap a turbo in, it would be easier to get a Turbo parts car. The Omni is a 4 door L-Body. There is a lot of interchangeability between the 2 doors (Chargers). So we have a project Turbo Omni in the works now. I'm currently ripping the old engine harness out now so I can repaint it. My wife loves the new Chrysler dark green. Can't think of the color name. However she decided to keep it silver. Less attention drawn to it I'll let you know what probs I run into. Only problem I can see now is a roll bar. (I'm tinting the windows dark to hide it. Plus since I was in a serious car wreck, I'm becoming very concerned with safety. Not even just with racing, just driving on the street is more hazardous than racing! Also another porblem is the lack of room in front for an intercooler. We're hoping for a 13 second car eventually. Not to outlandish. Just enough to dust off mustangs and keep pace with the new Trans/Ams So we are ditching the A/C. We're gonna be dying in the summer though. Let us know what you decide and I'll keep you posted on our Omni also.

Good Luck

Bob

20 MoPars and countin'