Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-2000, 09:00 AM

Question

The original LH platform was designed with certain things in mind so that Chrysler could modify it to rear wheel drive for police units, right? So did they ever produce any of these? Even a prototype? The Prowler uses the same LH 3.5L (old and new) engine and transaxle, except that Chrysler moved the transaxle to the rear and run a drive shaft between them. So if the LHs were designed to be modifed into a rear wheel drive car, and the Prowler shows this possible using the same transaxle as a tansmission/differential then how hard would it be to modify a LH to rear wheel drive. The fuel tank would have to be moved, drive axles would have to be made and a way of mounting the transaxle into the rear of the car. But this doesn't seem too difficult. If I didn't need my car for everyday use then i might heavily consider undertaking such a project. What does everyone else think of something like this, is it do-able, has it been done, will it be done?
Old 11-29-2000, 01:24 AM

I too have seen this possibility. I was thinking of keeping everything up front and seening how it would perform with all wheel drive. It would get pretty tricky in the setup, but I think that it would be worth it.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:35 PM

Considering we lose about 25% of the power the car has by it being a FWD setup, a RWD configuration might just get a little more juice out of the 214 ponies under the hood.

Still, with a custom exhaust, k&n, and removing the intake muffler, I'm able to dust a mustang 5.0. Hell, I stayed bumper to bumper with one with 5 people in the Dodge...can't beat that.

Sam
Old 12-01-2000, 02:55 AM
95 Intrepid ES 3.5,

Lightbulb

A rear wheel drive LH would be awesome, especially if it were a manual trans car! However it is highly unlikely that mother mope would build it. I have seen heavily modded rwd LH's though, in the older mopar perf. catalog there is a picture of a supercharged intrepid there, it was cut down to a 2 door coupe also. (bad azz!)
But for any practical sense the best way to rwd convert her would be to rear mount the transaxle and connect the engine to it via a 'drive shaft' similar to a corvette. I believe that the prowler's rear suspension design is similar to the LH's so there is a possibility the spindles may cross. (gonna have to check that one). Use a side saddle style fuel tank to keep the weight mid ships, and the biggest hurdle would be how to alter the rear cross member to accept the tranny! (not so simple though)
certainly an idea with merit though!
Old 12-07-2000, 01:30 AM

do you have a picture of that 2 dr supercharged intrepid, id like to see that. thanks.
Old 12-09-2000, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by stanz510:
I have seen heavily modded rwd LH's though, in the older mopar perf. catalog there is a picture of a supercharged intrepid there, it was cut down to a 2 door coupe also. (bad azz!)
i'd like to see that too!!!!