Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 1987 LaBaron " Code 7 Indy"

I was wondering if anyone knows about this. I had a 1987 Chrysler LaBaron coupe, 2.2 turbo, loaded. It had everything, including the voice that tells you that your tail lights were out or your brake pads were worn or your nose needed wiped etc.

On the core support there was a tag beside the VIN tag that said "Code 7 INDY". The dealer I bought it from said it was a speacial factory demo car, but I figured he was just Bullshi..ing me and didn' think to much about it.

I had heard that the indy pace car that year was a LaBaron Turbo Coupe convertible and that the first run of convertibles were coupes taken off of the line and converted. When I was detailing the car one day, I pulled out the center console and found a gas reciept from a Chrysler dealer in Indianapolis dated just after the build date.

I sent the Mopar Guru a letter with the information and by the time I heard back from him six months later, I had sold the car. He didn't give me much info, cuz I didn't send a check I suppose, but he said I might want to hang on to the car. (TO FREAKIN LATE)

Does anyone know anything about these cars. The dealer said possibly one of 500???
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Sounds like one of the Indy pace car versions.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

Cool 87 LaBaron

The one thing I forgot to mention is............it's not a convertible?!?!?!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

The 1987 Indy 500 was indeed paced by a completely restyled Lebaron convertible, the symbol of a revitalized Chrysler Corp. The actual car was red. Every manufacturer puts out a limited number of pace car replicas for the year they pace the Indy 500. I don't know how many of these were actually produced, nor do I know where you'd find that info. You can try turbododge.com, though. It couldn't hurt. I do know that there was a decal kit for the car on Ebay recently. I happen to have an '87 Lebaron premium coupe. It has leather interior, digital instruments, and the talking computer (which I've disabled). It's the turbo I 2.2, but I'm building the car to handle. I'm also going to convert it to turbo II specs and am going to compete in SCCA solo competition. The convertible wasn't available at the outset of the '87 model year; it arrived about halfway through the year.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

I know where there is one of those sitting in a salvage yard. It's a silver coupe but has the decals on it. I believe it has a leather interior. I never looked under the hood as it had an underhood fire. The next time I go there I'll try to look for the tag you mentioned.
I've never heard anything concerning production numbers.
I do have a couple of pics somewhere in my photo archive.
Dallas
Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Update; About 5 years ago I thought I saw this car on a tilt bed wrecker so I turned around as quick as I could to try to catch up to it but I lost it. I started running around to the salvage yards to see if it was there and finally caught up to it. They were already cramming stuff into it to go to the crusher and they were real nervous when I pulled in and asked about it. They wouldn't sell it to me even when I said I used to own it. I popped the hood and sure enough the code 7 indy tag was there. This was when scrap metal was high and some people would take them without titles. (A big no no here in AZ.) I am only assuming this was the case. Whatever it was, I owned it for awhile but it is probably part of a refrigerator by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfen View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows about this. I had a 1987 Chrysler LaBaron coupe, 2.2 turbo, loaded. It had everything, including the voice that tells you that your tail lights were out or your brake pads were worn or your nose needed wiped etc.

On the core support there was a tag beside the VIN tag that said "Code 7 INDY". The dealer I bought it from said it was a speacial factory demo car, but I figured he was just Bullshi..ing me and didn' think to much about it.

I had heard that the indy pace car that year was a LaBaron Turbo Coupe convertible and that the first run of convertibles were coupes taken off of the line and converted. When I was detailing the car one day, I pulled out the center console and found a gas reciept from a Chrysler dealer in Indianapolis dated just after the build date.

I sent the Mopar Guru a letter with the information and by the time I heard back from him six months later, I had sold the car. He didn't give me much info, cuz I didn't send a check I suppose, but he said I might want to hang on to the car. (TO FREAKIN LATE)

Does anyone know anything about these cars. The dealer said possibly one of 500???